Makings of a classic car ? Discuss…

Anything F-Type related......
CPBLondon

Post by CPBLondon »

So my lifetime gift to myself was the F Type S 2016 below.

Have not had a single day of regret despite reading lots on the forum and inherent worries about the diff and under car corrosion etc. I still smile walking out to get into the car and listening to that start up and then pulling away with an idiots grin. This is my daily car and I hope to drive it until it falls apart - was lucky to buy it last year with only 6k on the clock and I take it to the far reaches of the UK and over to Ireland a few times a year. The reaction as people look at the car - if you know then you know.

My question is will the F Type become a ‘classic car’ notwithstanding I have no idea what the definition may be or really care but I have a sense as the world goes toward an electric future there will be a few generations who will still long for the noise of this engine on a country road or through a long tunnel. I wonder how these cars will be perceived in ten years time and maybe twenty years as we drive to Jaguar meets or pop to the post office to collect the pension (joke).

In my mind this is a classic car and the best car I have ever driven or owned - idiots grin just thinking about it.

Views ?

DA41F5CB-B2A7-428B-8C68-0211D4F101DE.jpeg

F Type S 380
Polaris White
Red interior/pan roof
Black pack
drive the dream !

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Most classics are more than 40 years old, so it'll be a while before the F type becomes one I should think. Derek from Banger's and Cash was talking about it on one episode. Retired guys want the cars they remember when they were young, so it moves forwards over time. I e. stuff pre-1950s isn't favoured any more, as there's no buyers.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

Regrettably, I do not think the F-Type's DNA will survive long.
F-Types are complex to maintain and parts will likely become hard to source.
My best guess is that the Jaguar brand will be dead before the 40 year mark.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
scm

Post by scm »

CJSJAG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:00 pm My best guess is that the Jaguar brand will be dead before the 40 year mark.
If Musk has his way driving will be dead before the 40 year mark. Why do the obscenely rich insist on sucking the fun out of life?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
jonm

Post by jonm »

If the car survives long enough I don't see why it should'nt become a classic, It's a desirable car - why would that change, and it was not sold in vast number so will start getting rarer when they stop making them in 2025.

Question is how many will survive that long, what happens when all the computers in the car fail? How many 40 year old computers do you see still working?
I suppose if it becomes a common enough problem and enough people are interested electronics geeks and computer hackers will be able to keep these things going, mechanically it will survive, it's not going to rust away like cars of old.
My16 F-Type V6 340
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I think you just identified he 'kiss of death" - it is the electronics that will kill these cars.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

mickjaguar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:54 pm Most classics are more than 40 years old, so it'll be a while before the F type becomes one I should think. Derek from Banger's and Cash was talking about it on one episode. Retired guys want the cars they remember when they were young, so it moves forwards over time. I e. stuff pre-1950s isn't favoured any more, as there's no buyers.
Agreed, really it should be 40 years, but then like everything else in modern society, events are pulled forward.
Christmas stuff in the shops in September is one example.
"When I were a lad" it was 2 or 3 weeks.

A more relevant example is, before buying my F Type, I recently sold my 2004 (so only 18 years old) Honda S2000 for only £5k less than I paid for it when new.
Granted it was mint, but these cars have already become what's referred to as "modern classics", even though the last ones were sold not much more than 10 years ago!!

If you compare it to the S2000, there is no doubt in my mind that the F Type will become a modern classic in under 10 years time.
The looks and the sound alone separate it from the competition, just like the S2000's insanely high revving engine did, so the ingredients are definitely there.
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Whilst I love the F Type, it's lines, street presence, theatre, enjoyment it gives, etc. I'm not sure I can come up with anything to define the F type as a 'classic' car by any of the accepted criteria. Not yet old enough, too many around, not at the point they are restored rather than scrapped, etc. etc. I've watched the same sort of arguments and forum discussion for the original BMW Z4 that it was to become a modern classic, but you can now pick one up for £3k. Perhaps some of the M cars such as the Z3M 'breadvan' due to rarity are becoming classics.

To my mind we have to watch them go through a period where they become less desirable (fuel costs, taxation, ULEZ's, electric cars, parts availability, etc.) and values really drop (already down to <£22k for a non cat V6) then are rediscovered by a group who aspired to them. Then we may see some like SVR's become more interesting to a group. Perhaps they start being converted to electric and gain a new audience.

For now I just enjoy and love the car. Will not sell for as long as I enjoy and it's possible to actually use it..

EDIT - this thread caused me to look into one of my toys and have discoverd that one of my Jeeps from 1979 is now a 'Classic' ,so don't need to tax it. Given it's had no significant change in the last 30 years no need to MOT it either, (but I probably will do so for safety) Very happy :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more