V8R Possible Purchase

Anything F-Type related......
derekmines

Post by derekmines »

So having recently sold my Ferrari 360 I'm in the market for a replacement summer fun cabriolet and I find myself repeatedly drawn to the F type, even though I traditionally prefer a manual, I've read that the auto box in the F type is a good one so that's no longer a deal breaker.

This is the car that's got me particularly interested:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 1171444525

I wonder what the consensus is on the spec / is there anything specific I should be looking out for or asking the dealer when I speak to them at the weekend?

Thanks in advance for any / all help - what did we do before forums!

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search. Member simpleR is the go-to man for car information - hopefully he'll see this and work his magic. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
derekmines

Post by derekmines »

Thanks. The Jag dealer a few minutes from my house has an SVR cabriolet on sale at the moment for £20k more than the above, I'd be interested in opinions as to whether the premium is worth it....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5035301058
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I always say, the F type you have bought or the model you've decided to buy, is the right one. It's such a personal decision and none of the models are duffers.

However, Sam from Seen Through Glass has been an F type owner more than once and there are a couple of his videos on YouTube that talk about the question you are asking.

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Unfortunately I am on a thing called a bus. Strange place but for a good reason. Off to London to see Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Wheezer.

The first one is car 24617. YE15HTG
Looks like 3+ owners (Leeds, Stockport, Yorkshire areas). The advert says full jaguar service history, but online it hasn't been seen by Jaguar since April 2020 and says 443 days overdue. The service history shows it's only ever had oil changes so factor in a full fluid change on everything, plugs, etc. Clear MOT. Looks nice.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The second one (SVR) is car 49344. GJ67YVH
Some of the extra £20k will be because it's newer, higher spec, less miles and it's an SVR.
It only covered 208 miles in first year, may have been the showroom car. Looks like 2+ owners (Maidstone, Bristol/Bath) and does have a full Jaguar Service History fully itemised and was last serviced last month.
I would check for front damage (see if number plates are different from front to back etc) as it failed an MOT for headlight beam too low which is odd in an MY18 with self levelling LED lights. Although my offside headlight was swapped under warranty as it wouldn't stop dancing around and refused to self level.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Very well spec’d R with a good colour combo, if you like red.
And maybe the original Ian Callum design with the uprated output V8 and rear wheel drive is considered the pinnacle of the F design?
But then a triple black SVR with all those extras is very tempting! Do bear in mind it doesn’t have a heated steering wheel, front screen, or even seats from what I can make out - strange on a top dollar convertible.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
derekmines

Post by derekmines »

Wow.... Amazing level of help here, thank you all very much.

The R appeals in no small part due to the interior, I'm not a fan of excessive colour but everything black with just the seat panels in dark red is, I think, a really nice combination that I could 100% live with.
I also got the impression from the ad that the car is particularly well equipped which also appeals (saves getting into retrofits later!!)
Is there a downloadable brochure anywhere in order me to check what options the cars I look at have fitted?

it'll only ever be a sunny day car for me, so the lack of heated things in the SVR doesn't necessarily bother me, though the strange MOT failure does - they are literally 1/2 a mile from my house though so I might just pop up and have a nose about this afternoon.

Right now I'm debating between an F type and a Vantage (Aston would be a manual convertible, not auto) so if anyone's got the 2 or done the same then please chime in.
Lux37

Post by Lux37 »

Completely agree with MickJaguar comment that whatever you choose is the right car for you.The F type is a lovely looking car whatever the spec and engine size.I have been blessed to have the opportunity to own a SVR for the last 6 weeks which has been my dream car following getting a good price for my 2012 XKR that I owned for 4 years so here are my findings for what it's worth during my recent search.

Most sought after SVR specs in no particular order-
Blue,Orange,Black
Rear Spoiler
Coupe with panoromic
Carbon pack
Ceramic breaks
Upgraded alloys

With that in mind I went for a convertible(its a weekend only in the dry motor!) in red.I did not want ceramic brakes(fear of cost if it goes wrong,more likely the previous owners have tracked them)but liked the surround sound stereo but rarely get the benefit of it as I just listen to the exhaust note to be honest.

I went non-Jag dealer which is risky but the mileage was so low(12.5k)and got a solid 1 year warranty,got a decent personal HPI check and the benefit of a good price(I found the premium was at least 5k to buy from Jag dealers which could be a small price to pay for piece of mind).Mind you I had to work out what the spec of the car was myself (SimpleR do you have access to original specs for NL67NDX?enjoy the gig), had to deregister the previous owner to get the app working,bought the sim but cannot register and got a Jag dealer to look over it after I bought it as service history was patchy.All 1st world problems to be honest so far.

If you can afford it(as Harry's Garage says it's not just the price of the car,it's also to have the finances left to then go out and enjoy the car properly)then I would recommend the SVR as I prefer the body styling,the spoiler along with the exhaust note(some may hate it)along with the rarity value which I hope we help reduce the depreciation rate (kidding myself I know)over the minimum of 10 years I intend to keep it(provided we do not hit £5 per litre!)

In terms of performance however neither the R or SVR can be pushed to the limit on the public road so I cannot say this would justify the premium on this alone.As Clarkson recommended on his original F type test drive the V6 gives enough performance on the public road to enjoy the car.

I would test drive both and then you will know,the decision will be made by the heart not the head IMHO!

Good luck and looking forward to Beaulieu on Sunday!

20220430_145953.jpg

2017 SVR Convertible,Caldera Red
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Whichever one you choose, be quick to strike a deal, someone else could buy it any minute now.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post