Non OE spec tyres

Anything F-Type related......
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

I’m struggling to find a set of front mps4s tyres for my Ftype (255/35/20)
I’ve found a set on Camskil but they are ‘volvo’ spec.
I’ve seen people have fitted MB spec tyres of the same brand and size.
Is this an issue as the Michelins are not a OE spec tyre for Jag anyway.
Tread pattern looks the same
TIA
Russ
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel

Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

The volvo Michelins (🤣) are two version one an acoustic version. The difference is price ( slightly cheaper) a lower dba value and better (A) wet weather performance.
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

For normal use on roads it's all rather marginal and doubt you'd ever know. Ultimately the Volvo spec tyre has been changed from standard spec to better show the characteristics sought by that manufacturer. It may be for better wet use vs ultimate handling or to perform better with their suspension, weight, quieter ride, etc. Whatever you can be sure it's not so suitable for an F Type.

Standard spec tyre is a compromise to suit most needs of a high performance Summer tyre.
Personally I'd never fit a tyre developed for a different manufacturer, but happy with the stock tyre, as are many on here

I'd also pay little attention to which brands a manufacturer recommends (Tyres, oils and lubricants, etc.) as that more down to marketing deals than anything else.

I think this video has been posted before but shows how far an aftermaket tyre can be tweaked to meet the needs of a manufacturer, so may help guide you..

2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Thanks will keep my eye out for the standard mps4s
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

While you may not need all-season tires in old England, they allow driving year round here in New England.
I swapped my OE P-Zeros for Michelin PS AS 4's last Fall and plan to use them year-round.
IMO they handle better than the P-Zero Summer tires (limit 45 degrees F).
They are a little noisier but not a problem, and they have much better wear rating while meeting all other performance specs.
Regarding the OE Pirellis, my (new, 2021) car came fitted with P-Zeros marked AMS (Aston Martin).
Apparently there is a J (Jaguar) version but JLR saw fit to go with the AMS version.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Different models have different specs.
Mine for example is J front and AMS rear.

I'm let to find the difference between J and AMS in terms of structure.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:07 pm Different models have different specs.
Mine for example is J front and AMS rear.
It's probably because the J rated rear tyre is 285 (as fitted to the XKR), not 295.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Maybe look for the new contisport 7’s, they’re getting great reviews and have apparently set new standards for UHP tyres.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

It looks like ATS have the generic PS4s back in stock again.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

Got a message from Camskill regarding the VOL tyres (MPS4S 255/35/20) spec tyres they have available.
Too be honest the reply left me with more questions than answers

11B4A0FE-3ED1-401B-96BE-C7FCA49851EE.png

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post