P series ~ suspension “tweak”?

Anything F-Type related......
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

I had my M/Y 2015 V6 for 6 years and did 60,000 miles. Loved it, and no problems. Then an opportunity came up last month to buy a M/Y 2019 V6 one owner, under 10,000 miles, that was just the spec. I wanted ~ the last of the UK V6’s, at a fair price. So I bought it, and early days, but so far I’m very pleased with it. The biggest immediate difference I noticed was with the suspension. While the road holding is just the same, the suspension feels softer, with a much more comfortable ride. My earlier car had a much firmer ride, and over poor roads could be quite harsh.
Anyone else noticed this? I had heard that the suspension on the P series had been “tweaked”.
As I go touring a lot with my wife in Europe and the Uk, for us, this is a big and unexpected improvement 👍.

jonm

Post by jonm »

Could be adaptive Vs passive suspension? Was your first f-type an s model? was the 2019 you tested a p340 or p380?
My16 F-Type V6 340
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Both are 340’s, with 18inch wheels.
jonm

Post by jonm »

That's odd, looking through the parts catalogue, for non-adaptive suspension the springs and dampers and all other suspension components stay exactly the same throughout the production run of the V6s, only adaptive suspension sees some tweaks for my16 on.
You say both were on 18"s... maybe different tyres? Maybe seats are softer in the newer models? I have sat in the newer seats but they feel as firm as the old ones.

I too would like a softer more ride, was thinking about downgrading my 19" for 18" wheels but worried it will dull the superb handling, plus its a lot of money for new wheels and tyres!
My16 F-Type V6 340
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

I fitted more progessive springs, it will lower slightly but provides a softer ride untill you need it, local garage did it in a morning including tracking.
kept my 20", all is well.
jonm

Post by jonm »

Lowering the car is not an option for me unfortunatly, already difficult enough getting on and off ferrys and up and down underground car parks in hotels, city centres, etc!
If they have changed the car in later model years to make it softer I would like to find out how they've done that.
My16 F-Type V6 340
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Bear in mind it could easily be different tyres as well. Replacing the Pzeros on my R with Michelin PS4S made a significant difference to ride quality.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
jonm

Post by jonm »

Yes am currently on 19" pzeros, am planning on changing to Michelin ps5 but still loads of tread on the pzeros almost new so am loathed to replace them.
My16 F-Type V6 340
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

jonm wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:31 pm Yes am currently on 19" pzeros, am planning on changing to Michelin ps5 but still loads of tread on the pzeros almost new so am loathed to replace them.
Cheaper than changing the springs! See if you can sample a car with Michelins on and if it's a difference, might be the better way to go.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

I’ve gone from a 2016 V6s to a 2020 v8r and difference in ride is definitely noticeable.
The 2016 was very crash bang, over not so good roads, the 2020 much smoother ride, noticed it straight away

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post