Active exhaust butterfly not moving with spindle

Anything F-Type related......
Kevlcat

Post by Kevlcat »

Hi all,

Got my rear braces off for blasting and coating etc. Also tidying up the subframe as best as I can…
Wire brush to remove surface rust
Clean
Rust converter (Kurust)
Two coats of POR-15 (Brilliant stuff used on my landrover axles!)
Dynax-S50 in the cavities and Dynax UC elsewhere

Anyway

I have today turned my attention to the back box by cleaning up and lubricating the actuators etc. Both valves were moving freely before I removed box anyway (or at least it seemed that way!)
Upon checking the valves closely it seems I have one valve where the butterfly is not moving when the actuator moves the spindle!
So it looks like the spindle is broken somewhere….very annoying

Has anyone come across this as opposed to the usual seized flaps. Does anyone know of anyone who could repair this as I am not keen on the £££ to replace the whole back box.
It looks like the butterfly is still connected to the spindle ok but the spindle itself is broken, I guess maybe it was seized before my ownership and someone snapped the spindle trying to free it ?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance
MY17, V6S Coupe, Portofino Blue, Pan Roof and slightly naughty exhaust

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

A previous post has listed these guys for replacing the valves on the existing exhaust (Leeds l think)

https://www.tonybanks.co.uk/
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Are you sure the spindle is broken? It would be unusual for it to sheer off and both the lever arm and flap remaining in place without something falling out.

Have you checked if the lever arm/cam is rotating on the shaft? If so a simple spot weld could fix it.

Screenshot 2023-05-06 202404.jpg

2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Also sometimes the spotwelds on the actuator can come loose, so although it operates correctly it just pushes the can away from the exhaust. A couple of tie wraps at 90 degrees to each other sorts it 👍
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Kevlcat

Post by Kevlcat »

Hi both,

Thanks for your input. The spindle slipping on the cam was a good thought but I have just had a more thorough check and yes…..the spindle is snapped….bummer!

So I’ll contact Tony Banks as mentioned above or may be just bite the bullet but JLR or aftermarket?

Thanks again for the replies
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The other people opening up the OEM back boxes are Mod-stock exhausts. Couple of people on here have gone that route too. In the South East (Epsom) I think.

https://mod-stock.co.uk/
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Kevlcat

Post by Kevlcat »

Hi,

I found Mod-Stock last night. Has anyone used them to replace the valves ?

Seems a really good option. What I hate if I was to replace the back box (apart from the ££££), is the complete waste of a perfectly good exhaust with only one faulty valve. Tony Banks is really not convenient for me in Leeds but Mod-Stock in Epsom is a far more convenient option. I think I will call after the bank hols.

Just curious if anyone had had their valves replaced and if any good or not?

Thanks
Kevlcat

Post by Kevlcat »

Contacted Chris at Mod-Stock last week. Very very impressed with them. He was visiting another customer in my area (West Somerset) and after discussing my issue, agreed he would bring an F Type rear box down with him that had already had new valves fitted & has also had his slight “tweek” to the inards.
The back box is supplied on an exchange basis.

Anyway upshot is that I fitted the replacement box on Saturday and could not be happier.

If your valves are failed, give them a try as I have saved a considerable amount of £ over the £2280 that JLR charge for a new box.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post