2016/17 v6 model options?

Anything F-Type related......
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi all, I'm sure this has already been covered but I cannot find it for the life of me. Outside of the obvious (power and physical trim) could someone explain the difference between the V6, V6S and R-Dynamic models to me? I'm looking to buy with a budget of about 33k and want to get the most for my money. I've seen a lot of AWD versions and I personally want the RWD version. Is there any big differences between the V6 and V6S engine/drivetrain minus the power? I've seen that the V6S has active suspension maybe?

Thanks in advance!
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.

gasgas

Post by gasgas »

the S has more power (the ordinary one can be chipped to a similar level), the big differance is in the ride quality and suspension electronic control.
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

gasgas wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 am the S has more power (the ordinary one can be chipped to a similar level), the big differance is in the ride quality and suspension electronic control.
Thanks, does the r-dynamic come with the adjustable suspension too?
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

Take a look at the brochures, they may help. US brochures but should give you an idea.
https://www.auto-brochures.com/jaguar.html
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

paddy1000111 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:02 am
gasgas wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 am the S has more power (the ordinary one can be chipped to a similar level), the big differance is in the ride quality and suspension electronic control.
Yes it does, (or at least mine does). I own a AWD R-Dynamic V6 and it has Active Suspension. Infact the only real difference I've noted (bar the lack of "S" badge below the air vents is that the R-Dynamic either lost or had deactivated the ability to user define the ride parameters and G-Force meter and change the colour of the cabin interior lights.

Most say they never use these features amyway, but personally I'd love to have them and would use them. So if anyone knows if they are simply hidden behind a CCF code wall let me know.
F-Type R-Dynamic 380PS AWD
V6 Black
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

The main differences between the down tuned 340 version and the 380 version (which was called S up until the MY18 facelift I believe) are obviously the power output but also the adaptive dampers and LSD. Don't know how good your French is (the auto translated captions are pretty good though) but this chap compares the 340 and 380 back to back and concludes that there's a marked difference in driving dynamics between them.

I may be a bit biased but an RWD 380 hp version is definitely the way to go. ;) IMHO the quintessential and ultimate F-Type configuration, a bit like the series 1 cars among the E-Types.

Get a MY18 car if you can, because the MY18 facelift cars have quite a few improvements over the older cars like better interior materials (no more sticky rubber!), optional LED lights, better infotainment and optional thinner lighter cooled performance seats.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

ToyCarMan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:14 pm
paddy1000111 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:02 am
Yes it does, (or at least mine does). I own a AWD R-Dynamic V6 and it has Active Suspension. Infact the only real difference I've noted (bar the lack of "S" badge below the air vents is that the R-Dynamic either lost or had deactivated the ability to user define the ride parameters and G-Force meter and change the colour of the cabin interior lights.

Most say they never use these features amyway, but personally I'd love to have them and would use them. So if anyone knows if they are simply hidden behind a CCF code wall let me know.
If I recall correctly those options are called configurable dynamics and configurable mood lighting. I have them both and both are rather pointless.

The G-meter and pedal graphs can be a bit cool but the steering, throttle response and suspension settings are way too limited. You can just choose if enabling dynamic mode should sharpen all those parameters or only some. You can't choose how much e.g. the steering should be affected, it's just comfort or dynamic. I think most of us just keep everything set to dynamic.

The configurable mood lighting is also a bit pointless. IMHO the default ice blue colour looks best anyway, and if you change it parts of the interior lights still stay ice blue so it's not really well implemented.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that someone got the features enabled by the same aftermarket mod company in the UK that can install the 10" screen in MY18+ cars.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Thanks for all the help. Out of interest does anyone have any good/bad experiences with the AWD system in the AWD version? The prices are very similar but I don't want to ruin the feel of the car and make it like an Audi to drive
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Can't quite speak for the F-Type because all F-Types I've driven have been RWD but I had the AWD system with the same supercharged V6 in an XF prior to the F-Type. I never ever actually needed it but was impressed with the system in that car. It did make it more planted than the RWD XFS I had before that and it was really very rear wheel biased, but at the same time took away a little bit of the fun and just felt unnecessary for my needs.

The AWD system makes sense in the V8 version but I don't think it really belongs in the V6 F-Type. Although I haven't experienced it in an F-Type it just seems like a waste with added weight, added complexity and arguably not much value added traction wise. Then there are the small bonnet differences. Personally I think the RWD bonnet shape and vents look better but the AWD vents have a more practical position for people who drive a lot in rain or leave the car outdoors.

A test drive is the only way to find out and you'll probably love the driving feel regardless of if you try an RWD or AWD F-Type. It certainly won't feel like an Audi. :)
MArtyn Veg

Post by MArtyn Veg »

Great advice as always MajorTom. I drove 250 miles today from my Worcestershire base to Lincolnshire and back in my V6 R Dynamic RWD and loved every minute of it! What a super car I’m so lucky to have! 😊
MY21 First Edition 5.0 V8 P450 AWD Coupe, Eiger Grey Metallic
Previous MY18 R Dynamic 3.0 V6 Coupe, Santorini Black, 20” Carbon Blades

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post