Active exhaust question.

Anything F-Type related......
Ratboiler

Post by Ratboiler »

Can you guys help please, I have a 2021 car and not sure if the active exhaust is working.
The light comes on on the console to say it's working, but I don't notice any change in the sound. The performance seems fine and when starting I think it's working on start up.
Not having a car to compare against I'm not sure, and it's very quiet against my TVR.
Pushing the active exhaust on and off does not seem to make any difference.
2021 R Portofino Blue, Convertible, Black interior, Sports seats.

scm

Post by scm »

At tickover I don't think you'll notice any difference as the valves won't open until you get the revs up. If you pull fuse 15 (in the engone bay fusebox) the valves should be open all the time - that'll tell you if they're working. The newer cars are considerably quieter than the early models, which were LOUD. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

You can see the exhaust flaps on the V8, which should be open when the engine is off (no vacuum).

As SCM says later cats have been neutered, so the exhaust closes when you move off and only opens properly above 3500 rpm, or if you accelerate hard

With fuse 15 (beige) removed ,from the under bonnet passenger side fuse box, the valves are open permanently. This makes a big difference to the sound. Had mine disconnected for about 18 months. The fuse only goes back in for service/MOT time.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
SilverDreamMachine

Post by SilverDreamMachine »

Ratboiler wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:09 am Can you guys help please, I have a 2021 car and not sure if the active exhaust is working.
The light comes on on the console to say it's working, but I don't notice any change in the sound. The performance seems fine and when starting I think it's working on start up.
Not having a car to compare against I'm not sure, and it's very quiet against my TVR.
Pushing the active exhaust on and off does not seem to make any difference.
Mine's a 2021 V8. If you hit the button you should get a deep rumble added to the soundtrack. If you get nothing then something is not right...
21MY P450 AWD, Coupe, Blue; ex-20MY P300, Convertible, Silver
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

you can hear the differance straght away on pushing the button.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

you can hear the differance straght away on pushing the button.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

gasgas wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 am you can hear the differance straght away on pushing the button.

Not on all cars, as SCM says, on some the valves don’t open until the revs increase. I notice a difference if I put it in dynamic mode but not on the switch.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

On my 2019 I can hear the difference as soon as I press the button. Press the button, put it in Sport & Dynamic give it some gas and then let off, pops and bangs on overrun - as said not as loud as the earlier cars I don't think but loud enough for me.
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

TopCat wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:41 am
gasgas wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 am you can hear the differance straght away on pushing the button.

Not on all cars, as SCM says, on some the valves don’t open until the revs increase. I notice a difference if I put it in dynamic mode but not on the switch.
Same with my MY16 car
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Seems to be lots of variation in exhaust noise depending on exact model and year.
Before I purchased my 19MY SVR I tried a 18MY SVR (so before gpf was fitted) and an 22MY P575.
I tried all 3 in dynamic mode.
The 18MY SVR was very loud (amusing but almost too much for me with constant popping and banging), then I tried the P575 and was surprised how quiet it was - pressing dynamic mode didn’t seem to change anything - so similar to your experience and a key reason why I didn’t buy the car I tried (the dealer said fitting a cross pipe would be an easy fix to get more noise but I wasn’t convinced).
My car is something in between - pulling fuse 15 didn’t seem to make much difference but others say it makes a big difference and of course the SVR exhaust is different from the R exhaust.
On my car pressing the exhaust button doesn’t change the exhaust tone at idle (whereas on my MY19 F-Pace SVR it does).
Overall the “active” part of my exhaust doesn’t seem to do much.
All very confusing!

P.S. you can check your active exhaust is working by looking up the end of your tail pipe - the valve should be open (as shown below) when car is off and closed very soon after you start the car.

IMG_0476.jpeg

2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post