Project Damaged Repairable F-Type!

Anything F-Type related......
MSP100

Post by MSP100 »

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-15 at 18.19.08.jpg

Hello Fellow F-Typers,

I have recently stumbled upon a project and feeling good about joining the F-Type owners crew!

It's a 2.0L 2019 F-Type R Dynamic, but unfortunately someone smashed into the vehicle and damaged the drivers front corner.

We have already done a repair on the suspension arm to get the car rolling and steering better, and would appreciate any advice with regards to sourcing parts or helping get the car running as it turns over but doesn't fire.

Damage is mainly front corner so we'll need a front bumper, headlight, airbox, fuse-box, plastics, brackets etc.

Happy to share pics of progress and repair process if it helps others too!

Regards,
MSP

NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Welcome to the club.

I'd be glad to see updates on your project.

A few useful parts websites:
Britcar.com
Britishparts.co.uk
Plus of course, the usual ebay breakers.
A recent post also addressed sourcing spares:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7142

One suggestion re failure to fire up - AFAIK, there is an earthing point in the inner wing on the damaged corner. Might be worth looking at this first to make sure it's intact. A bad earth can cause all sorts of gremlins.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck with the project.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Hi, I have an almost identical 2.0l 2019 R-Dynamic and can confirm there is indeed an earthing point and pass through of heavy duty starting cables on that inner wing

WheelWellElectricalConnector2.jpg

MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
jonm

Post by jonm »

It's not an earthing point, Its the 12v+ positive supply for the electric power steering rack.
My16 F-Type V6 340
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ah, hence you don’t see the block on the earlier pre electric rack cars.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MSP100

Post by MSP100 »

Good Morning All,

Thank you for the kind welcomes and replies.

I am pleased to update that we now have the car rolling and steering, after replacing one of the bottom arms that snapped in the accident - managed to get a copy part for half the price of the OEM.

I have now pretty much located most of the parts from Dealers/eBay/online - always worthwhile checking prices as sometimes you can be pleasantly (or unpleasantly surprised!).

We are at a bit of a puzzle in that we haven't been able to get her running, as she starts for a second and then turns off (as if out of petrol).

We have used an Autel diagnostics to clear most of the faults, and we have re-connected the crash sensors in the bumper, however the car seems to start and cuts out within one second. A friend feels as though the fuel pump might be disabled as a result of the accident maybe as that's how it seems.

No airbags were deployed, although the drivers front crash sensor in bumper was damaged, replaced and reset done on generic diagnostics.

Is there any Jag boffins locally that have the necessary equipment (e.g. diagnostics) and knowledge to help get this going please - I am based in Solihull, just outside Birmingham.

Regards,
MSP
NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

Could be possible the inertia switch has triggered, this normally isolates the fuel pump.

I don’t know where this is on an F type, but a quick search gave the following information:-

“ The inertia switch is located in the footwell behind the trim on the right-hand side of the vehicle, forward of the front door post, below the fascia. A finger access hole allows the driver to reset the switch.”
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
MSP100

Post by MSP100 »

Thanks NCE 61, inertia switch is a good shout but speaking to a friend, he suggested that these newer cars don't have them? I did check the footwell but couldn't see anything unfortunately .
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Presume you have checked all fuses are OK in all four locations. Fuel pump is F18 in the boot.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post