Moulded Y rubber hose ~ water leaks

Anything F-Type related......
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

I keep hearing about the problems with the Y water hose at the top of the engine leaking at its joint, on earlier model cars.
Apparently, on later cars this hose is better made/moulded and has no problems.
I have a V6 - M/Y 2019
- VIN SAJDB1AV2KCK59166.
Can any of you clever people tell me if I have the newer type of hose fitted?
Or the older type that I should get checked/changed?

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Hi Bob. This post shows you how to identify which one your car has.

viewtopic.php?t=6598

If
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

I believe the switch to the newer part was made partway through MY18 (after mine was built, alas).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

Sorry, Bob,
Might have high Jacked the thread, relvant.

I just wanted to know.......
Is there anyone out there with an F Type that’s had a catastrophic cloud of steam failure of the Y coolant pipe?
I too have heard the rumours but never met anyone who’s had this problem,.
“A well known weak point” how much of a problem is it.
Back in 2002 it was a weak point on my S/C 4.2 V8, I took that engine to well past 100,000 miles no issue.
That’s 10 years before the first F Type to get the redesign right !
At that time, the “Nickasil and faulty timing chain tensioners” era had passed, what was there to worry about .
IMS bearing? Nope we don’t have those, that’s the Stuttgart lot!!

I’ve seen it mentioned over on the US forum and there’s been plenty of discussion on here regarding the differential failure. Have I missed the post on the “Y” pipe failure.
Apart from the “ there’s another redesign”. And I’ve heard.

I’ve also had the conversation with Tom Lenthall, yes he has seen a few fail but a catastrophic end of life failure would be a pretty poorly looked after Car driven by someone who doesn’t care.
He told me to keep an eye on the coolant level and if it drops get it booked in and you’ll be OK.
Most likely, It’ll be the expansion tank or something else simple but didn’t recommend pulling the top off just to do the coolant pipe
I know that @Timbo had his changed a couple of years ago as a precaution because the Supercharger was off, it made economic sense to change it.
I recall @Tel posting he’d acquired an Aluminium one as a replacement.
Anyone with a major failure ? eye’s got t’ know.
I want to Just drive, no fear!
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R
scm

Post by scm »

I think the Americans do seem to have more issues than we Brits, maybe Jags don't get on well with sea crossings!

I've had a coolant tank fail in a 60,000 mile 2001 XK8 (seam spilt), and an oil pipe burst on a 2004 90,000 mile 4.2 XKR, but after surgery both recovered well and didn't give further trouble. Jags are a lot more reliable than people (most of whom have never even driven, let alone owned, one) think. But it does make used Jags real bargains (so don't tell anyone!)!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

This wasn't catastrophic but it was a proper cloud of steam.

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

Same engine as in the F-type, but in the XF I had before. The water pump went pop during a very spirited drive and dumped all the coolant all over the engine compartment. Water pump replaced and all good.

I also had the Y pipe and another coolant pipe break on other occasions in that car, but those issues were much less dramatic and resulted in slow coolant leaks.

My understanding is that you usually have a fair chance of avoiding any serious damage if you stop more or less immediately after a big coolant loss, which you'll notice through a warning on the dash.

As scm says, these cars are much more reliable than many people know, which is great for us enthusiasts. :) Also shows how long it takes to get rid of a bad reputation... as far as I know most of the unreliability nonsense originates from the British Leyland chaos and dodgy Lucas electrics which was decades or even half a century ago. Some of the bad rep probably also comes from odd American reliability surveys where irrelevant infotainment bugs and such count as reliability issues.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Tel

Post by Tel »

BobHarrington wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:58 pm I keep hearing about the problems with the Y water hose at the top of the engine leaking at its joint, on earlier model cars.
Apparently, on later cars this hose is better made/moulded and has no problems.
I have a V6 - M/Y 2019
- VIN SAJDB1AV2KCK59166.
Can any of you clever people tell me if I have the newer type of hose fitted?
Or the older type that I should get checked/changed?
Hi Bob,

Reading the US forums, some folks are having issues with the new tubular type updated hoses!

If in doubt get hold of Aluminium set from euro Amp in the states. I bought the whole kit and caboodle to update the joses to ally, and the waterpump et al.

T
Coolant-y-pipe V8.pdf
(844 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips