MY21 Front grille badge swap to 2023 black version.

Anything F-Type related......
barrycraig

Post by barrycraig »

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone has swapped the standard red badge to the new all black badge that comes as standard on the 2023 model? Can anyone confirm if the entire front bumper has to come off to facilitate such a swap?

Cheers!

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Very early cars had a black badge with a different design, which changed to red. You can see the difference in the link below.

Badges are stuck on and can be removed with everything in situ. The chrome rim of the badge is clipped onto the coloured back, so you need to pry the entire thing or the rim might come away on its own. There is also a locator pin in the back of the badge that goes into the grille plastic to orientate it correctly.

https://www.adamesh.co.uk/badges--decals-434-c.asp
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Bit of a random hijack here... but does anyone know if there is any significance behind the colouring of the R logo? The red and green I mean?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Best theory is it relates to the XJR-9 race car that won at LeMans back in the late 80's, which had red and green Castrol livery. As the red and green R badge appeared on Jaguar's road cars to denote performance models at about the same time.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

mickjaguar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:27 pm Best theory is it relates to the XJR-9 race car that won at LeMans back in the late 80's, which had red and green Castrol livery. As the red and green R badge appeared on Jaguar's road cars to denote performance models at about the same time.
Would make sense. Appreciate it.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
barrycraig

Post by barrycraig »

mickjaguar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:24 pm Very early cars had a black badge with a different design, which changed to red. You can see the difference in the link below.

Badges are stuck on and can be removed with everything in situ. The chrome rim of the badge is clipped onto the coloured back, so you need to pry the entire thing or the rim might come away on its own. There is also a locator pin in the back of the badge that goes into the grille plastic to orientate it correctly.

https://www.adamesh.co.uk/badges--decals-434-c.asp
I dont think that's the case anymore, at least not on my car. The grille growler is no longer stuck down with adhesive but has three clips holding it in place. Try as I might I do not seem to be able to free them from the front or gain access from inside the bonnet. I suspect the front bumper will have to come off. See picture of replacement badge below with clips and all in one piece.

barrycraig

Post by barrycraig »

Ok, I've managed to do this without taking off the front bumper. Updating this thread to share what I've learned as there is so little information about this online. The part number for the 100mm matte black badge is T2R84501, this was extremely difficult to find as the dealers could only find the silver variation on their systems (J9C5647) after much back and forth with my local dealer we finally found a part variant and ordered it with the hopes it would be the black version and it was. At the time of writing when you google the part number there are only 2 google results, so I cant imagine this has been posted anywhere else before. I think there is a high gloss version of the badge out there somewhere, possibly originally for the I-Pace but I couldn't find the part number for that.

Removal wasn't easy or painless. It's clear that the front bumper has to come off for this to be done right. I took off the radiator cover which let me see the back of the badge but it was still way out of reach. In the end I was able to squeeze my fingers through the grille hole directly under badge. From this angle it is just possible to touch two of the three plastic tabs holding in the badge. I wasn't able to push down the pins within the tabs from this angle to release the badge but I was able to bend them back and forth enough to wiggle the tabs forwards and out of their holders. The top tab was much, much more difficult to free but with more wiggling and bending I was finally able to get to to slip out. If you weren't worried about keeping the original badge in one piece you could easily just snap off the top tab once you have the bottom two out and save yourself a lot of time.

Overall I'm really happy with the look. All the other badges on the car are black so the front being red and silver always stood out to me. When the R 75 edition had matte black as standard I knew I had to have it.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

He just needs the black sunglasses now 8-)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Jimc

Post by Jimc »

Hi Barry, is the badge you fitted a 100mm black/silver one? If so, can I ask where you sourced it from? Drawing a blank in my own search for one. TIA / Jim
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

Hi Barry,
thank you for the great write up. I have just "upgraded" the front growler to an all-black 100mm one.
The front bumper or even the radiator cover need not be removed.
The way i did it was to carefully remove the outer bezel [where jaguar is stamped].
This gives access to the main part of the badge, which has an inward chamfer to it.
The tabs are located in the 000, 120 & 240 deg position [clock face i=12, midway between 4&5 and 7&8].
There is enough room to push the tab down following the chamfer - i used metal shirt collar stiffeners, and once released it just pops out.

Save your fingers next time......
MY21 P450AWD Coupe BRG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post