What could possibly go wrong? (would you but this car?)

Anything F-Type related......
ReallyGoodUsername

Post by ReallyGoodUsername »

Hi Everyone,

I'd really like to treat myself to an F-Type V8 for my 10th annual 35th birthday.

This looks ideal: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 6268969766 but I am concerned about buying privately.

84168e4df328430da6e67fe7e7245b01.jpg

Any thoughts? is it a crazy thing to do? any glaring errors that I am missing?

All input appreciated.

scm

Post by scm »

Do your due diligence, and judge for yourself if the seller is likely to have loved the car or just abused /thrashed it. It may have a bit of warranty left and if so, you should be able to extend it for peace of mind. They're great cars!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ReallyGoodUsername

Thanks for the response, the warranty is a good call.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Car 73019
A Santorini black v8 P450 R-Dymanic

In manufacturer 3yr warranty until 27th Nov 2023.
Two previous owners, the first from Crawley area as it shows PDI and 1st service record.

It has not been seen by Jaguar since November 2021 so shows as one service plus 228 days overdue. There maybe paper records from a non Jaguar dealer or non authorised garage. That must be the second and current owner. If it hasn't been serviced then that would void the remaining manufacturer warranty.

With any car with missing history and with any second hand car I would recommend an independent check such as Car Vertical, certainly to ensure there is no outstanding finance as well.

** EDIT it has also been on a private plate at some point which an independent check would tell you what it is.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
ReallyGoodUsername

that's amazingly helpful, thank you!

I don't like the sound of the service gap.

If it's not a rude question, how did you find all that information?
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

I know there are plenty of great independants out there, and I will likely be using one for mine as it's 8 years old, but not having it serviced at the dealers on a 2-3 year old car is a little bit of a red flag for me. It might not be for others, but is for me. It doesn't always point to there being an issue, but I just think it increases the risk a bit. It suggests someone has been cost cutting and then it makes you wonder what else they've cut costs on. Tyres are another good indication of this.

Another red flag for me, and again this might just be me, is the lack of photos and poor quality of them. I haven't sold on autotrader in a while but I don't remember there being a cost per photo or anything like that (I might be wrong). Of course again this doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with it. Could just be an old boy or girl who doesn't have a great camera on their phone or doesn't really know what they are doing when selling a car.

If it's local it couldn't hurt to go kick the tyres, but as simpleR said, I would 100% make sure you do a car vertical check, check for outstanding finance etc. Try and fill in the gaps in the history of the car and make sure it's got a full service history. Even if it was serviced by a back alley garage rather than a main Jag one, it could still affect the warranty so I'd want to check with Jag directly to see what they say on that one.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
ReallyGoodUsername

Yeah, I agree with all of that. It's a long way away from me so not simple.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

ReallyGoodUsername wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:50 pm Yeah, I agree with all of that. It's a long way away from me so not simple.
Yeh that might be a problem.

I'll just throw this out there as well... there is probably a reason it is the cheapest one on autotrader outside of a cat S and a not so much loved yellow one.

Also, the add states one owner but simpleR has it down as 2 owner...
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
ReallyGoodUsername

I was confused about 'previous owners'. Its technically correct! It had one owner before this one... Its a two owner car.

The price is about what I would expect for a private sale, dealer markup has to be around 10 to 15 percent I guess?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The car has two previous owners. The first owner and the current owner and if you buy it you will be the third owner.

I looked up the VIN number from the reg.

There are plenty out there. Take your time and look around and don't rush in and ensure you get a third party check as mentioned. Car vertical (link at the top and 10% off through the forum) or car check or Experian etc.

Screenshot_20230628-214007.png

Screenshot_20230628-214028.png

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black