Ivory seat colour code

Anything F-Type related......
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi all,

I've started the process of sorting out the cracking on my 2016 ivory performance seat bolster. I purchased ivory (ned) touch up dye but it's miles out although it does come with adjustment dyes. I am wondering if there's another code I should be using instead of Ned? Has anyone purchased a good match from anywhere?

I get that the colour will change over time so a perfect off the shelf match is hard, the seats are in otherwise very good condition and they have been properly scrubbed clean and detailed so aren't dirty.

Here's a photo of the bolster in its current state

IMG-20230620-WA0020.jpg

2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.

scm

Post by scm »

Was NED the code on your door pillar plate?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. Door pillar plate has:

PAINT: 1AF. TRIM: LDN and AJ

Do any of these reference the interior?
scm

Post by scm »

I think LDN is the code you want. Example of ivory ... https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/leather-codes.105524/
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

I think you might be right but I can't find LDN anywhere? Does anyone know if LDN is a code for something like cirrus with jet stitch?
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

For anyone who comes across this, I can confirm LDN is sirrus with jet stitching. I can highly reccomend collourlock products, they aren't the cheapest but the match was perfect and the application is easy. I previously repaired my volvo and the repair lasted to the point I sold it and it looked perfect on sale day (3 years).

Couple of tips, it's worth getting decent leather repair filler and filling it before you sand. I also used isopropyl alcohol as a pre-clean which will remove some of the original finish (you get transfer on the cloth). When you apply it with a sponge you will have some bits stuck to it, not sure if it's the sponge or the paint but it will freak you out (it did me) the best way to get rid of them is dry it with a hairdryer until its matt and then just rub them off with the rubber glove whilst blowing hot air. The bits fall off dry and you don't smudge the finish.

I also bought some 3mm masking tape from amazon use this to mask the stitching for the large areas and then use a cotton wool bud to touch in up to the stitching. Don't panic if you get it on the stitching, it does come out with a damp microfiber and some elbow grease.

Pictures to show the final product

20230713_183557.jpg

20230713_183533.jpg

jaysjag

Post by jaysjag »

Just came across this post….
The results look amazing! I have exactly the same seat colour as you but mine are in a slightly worse condition I would say.
I have been tempted to have a go at repairing it but always chickened out, but after seeing your results I think I may have a try. Are there any other tips, pointers you can give, e.g grade of sand paper? How long it took ? Or anything else you think may be of assistance. Thanks.
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

jaysjag wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:23 am Just came across this post….
The results look amazing! I have exactly the same seat colour as you but mine are in a slightly worse condition I would say.
I have been tempted to have a go at repairing it but always chickened out, but after seeing your results I think I may have a try. Are there any other tips, pointers you can give, e.g grade of sand paper? How long it took ? Or anything else you think may be of assistance. Thanks.
It's definitely worth giving it a go yourself. This is the second time I've ever done any leather repair and the results speak for themselves.

Start by using the leather cleaner from the kit, I cleaned the ENTIRE seat for best colour match and future protection. I also cleaned the dash and door trim too.
Sandpaper wise I was using Mirka Abranet, 800 grit. It takes a little longer but doesnt tear up the surface. You will need to fill the area first, leather flexifil from furniture clinic is a good product, you can buy it on amazon for £9.50. Degrease the leather that you are going to recolour with Isopropyl Alcohol, it will take a little of the colour off so don't panic but it preps the area well. Then fill, sand, fill, sand as required. I suggest trying to keep the filler to just the cracks and scratches. If it goes everywhere then you will lose the leather grain.
Once the area is prepped mask it off well, I suggest the blue painters tape as standard white wouldn't stick. I suggest you plan to recolour an entire panel of leather, I'm not sure how well it would come out if you touched in a spot.
Degrease again lightly with IPA and then start painting. I used the foam applicator that came with the kit, I cut it up to make a couple of applicators. It's worth keeping a wet microfiber cloth to hand, if you get any on the trim or stitching it wipes off very easily when wet, you will struggle when it's dried. It dries quickly with a hair drier, but between each coat I did notice the odd bit of fluff/dust stuck to it that look like lumps, after you dry it with a hair brush it's a good time to get rid of them, a quick brush with a gloved hand (buy some decent disposable gloves) and they come off. Then just keep applying, I think I did 5 coats in the end. I left it overnight before applying the leather protection stuff that comes with it over the entire seat.

Biggest bit is don't panic. When you first put it on you will probably do what I did and worry that it won't match, the colour changes a lot as it dries. Just focus on the prep work and masking stuff up and you won't have any issues 👍
jaysjag

Post by jaysjag »

Thanks paddy I am off to bay mine now hopefully with a bit of Black Friday discount! If mine comes out as good as yours I will be dead chuffed.
jaysjag

Post by jaysjag »

Ok so here is my attempt😂…….

9DD6DFAF-0F23-4B4D-8F94-B7F6ABD8D097.jpeg

Used colourlock Sirius so scratching my head as to what went wrong. Have emailed the company and waiting to see what they say.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post