Number plate mount or decal?

Anything F-Type related......
VVS

Post by VVS »

Hi All,

I'm getting a project 7 style grille and debating whether to put the number plate on top of the front bumper as a decal or mount it underneath the grille.
I was leaning towards the decal but been told it's not 100% legal. Is there anyone who has the number plate sticker/decal that could give advice on this or any run ins with the police?
Or any other reasons why one may be better than the other.

Thanks in advance.

paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

They can be legal but they must be made of BS retro reflective material with correct colouring, font and spacing and must be clearly visible, mounted as close to vertical as possible. They must also display the name of the company who made it. Theres no requirement for it to be made from perspex material
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Had my stickered plate since 2017. Although only driven weekends never had issue with police & passed MOT’s through main dealer & Jaguar independents...

B7C26352-A267-4BD3-A3A8-74094C3B83C1.jpeg

8BDAC52C-451F-4977-B0C0-C64DF3788383.jpeg

8F6431E9-1195-4901-AE4C-AD7C55E44E41.jpeg

Sticker is on correct reflective backing with BS code etc.

Owners have come up with different solutions. I like the sticker as it clears the grill area & looks a bit maverick/different from the rest 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
VVS

Post by VVS »

Thanks guys, I'd actually seen yours before Darren and was where I got the inspiration for the sticker, I think it looks great
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Back to the original question of if it’s legal or not, sadly it’s not legal at all. Since 2002 the way number plates are made, from reflective properties to rigidity alone make it illegal. It also needs to be vertical and have various marks such as the BS and maker postcode. None of these are likely to be met.

That aside, does it matter - probably not given experience as some have them and seemingly not pulled nor failed MOT’s, but that’s personal risk to consider.

Personally I think they look tacky unless you’ve made the car have a race track look, but the beauty of custom work is creating what you like.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There is no requirement regarding it being vertical or position on gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... ber-plates
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

That may be so however I was referencing the law as behind the dvla there is legislation:
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 section 3

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

6.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

Separately there are rules around a relevant area, being a square on the ground in front of the car. The pate has to be clearly visible as in (b) . Obviously not if fixed on top of the bonnet…

As I’ve said I’m clear that for multiple reasons illegal, but up to individuals what they do. Same with guys who don’t display a plate at all. They get stopped very rarely.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I checked with my MOT tester before changing, did this 4 yrs ago and never been stopped. I think it only really looks OK on a white car though. I got the correct material and size and spacing.

20190728_194130.jpg

2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Fwiw....and imo, decals look a bit blah.
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

100% on anything but a white car (dont tell Darren i said that lol) those stick on plates look awful.
Why dont you try a sto & sho
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp

• You may also be interested in...