Anything F-Type related......
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

It's based on the US market, but I'm sure it's a global trend

F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Interesting in that it's based on factual depreciation data, as it seems to confirm my view that the F-type will merely follow the trend established by the XK8.

I don't believe it's rare enough (Project 7 excepted), for it to become an appreciating classic for decades, i.e. when enough of them have been scrapped/crushed, (the DB7, which is rarer and older, isn't really doing anything remarkable in value yet and Aston's have a better classic potential than a Jag usually). In this respect, F-type values should bottom out, as before, based on condition.

The great unknown is the demise of the combustion engine, as this could go either way. Demand and rarity could push prices up, or legislation and fuel taxation could make them unattractive, particularly when combined with draconian restrictions on usage (ULEZ style). Then there is synthetic fuel which mixes it up a bit.

Who knows really? It's a car and it depreciates. So I think it's just better to drive it, as I'm unlikely too see any greater value that'll be any use to me in the old folks home.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I tend to keep cars unless forced to change so appreciation or depreciation doesn't factor into my decision. I seem to have purchased my car at quite a good depreciated price and the market value is still the same as what I paid
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

As always data driven tracking provides wonderful insights into the past, but not the future. I don't think anyone should fool themselves that the F Type is collectible, certainly not from a financial or investment perspective, except the project 7's and perhaps at some point the SVR's. They should be owned, driven and enjoyed. As always best to buy a few years old and keep for many years so that depreciation is not such a factor.

I do think the market in the future will split as I've seen on other sports cars I've owned and sold. The richer owners and those who don't keep cars long will move to another car whatever that may be. petrol, electric or hybrid, different marque, etc. depending on what looks appealing, performance, etc. Prices will continue to drop and drop (already now below £20k entry level) and a new market for older and cheaper F types will grow, typically with a very different buyer profile. They will have to be old and forgotten and rock bottom prices years if not decades into the future before there is any appreciation in the value in them.

As Mick comments the demise of the IC engine is the big variable here. Personally I think as more move to electric or whatever follows, then we'll see the cost of running an IC car as simply too much. Petrol stations will fade away, ULEZ, taxation, insurance and much more make them unviable except as curios from the past to be driven at weekends and the odd car show.

For now I'll continue to drive and enjoy it :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:19 pm They will have to be old and forgotten.
To make money the answer is perhaps to buy a barn and store a mint condition F type in there. The car won't ever be worth that much, but the barn will 🤣.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

mickjaguar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:20 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:19 pm They will have to be old and forgotten.
To make money the answer is perhaps to buy a barn and store a mint condition F type in there. The car won't ever be worth that much, but the barn will 🤣.
Or perhaps drag loads of old rusty cars into the barn then ensure the contents are ‘discovered’, goes viral on YouTube and you make a mint from the auction. An old Mini might fetch £5-£10k but strip some parts off it, so it’s a non runner, cover in dust and bird crap, call it a barn find and it’ll make £20k.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

As others have said, I think the F-Type is too common a car to be a true high value future classic. I also think it's not in the right price class with the "rich man's Jaguar" Aston Martin's more likely to be high end collectables based purely on their original price alone. The good old exclusivity factor.

It's very difficult to say where prices will go in the future, but unless its a Project 7 and maybe an SVR (long shot), I don't ever expect the price to go up. I fully expect there to be a hard bottom that it doesn't drop below, but also doesn't rise far above.
If the move to EV doesn't completely screw over ICE vehicles you might see 15 year old F Types bottom around £15-20k for the V6 and £20-25k for the V8 (lower mileage good examples). Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think XK prices went lower because of the F Type. Once you get to around that £20-25k mark for an XK, people start to think "well I might as well get an F-Type a pay a little more". Whereas in theory, with this being the death of the ICE Jaguar, you may not get the same effect with its EV replacement.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire