An odd picture request...

Anything F-Type related......
Rikochet

Post by Rikochet »

scm wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:50 pm
Rikochet wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:27 pm Perfect - thank you very much indeed. Looks like around 60+% less obstruction to view.
How much it intrudes will also be dependent on how high you sit - I'm 5'10 with 32" inseam and I think the picture shows more of the spoiler than I actually see when driving (camera was a quite a bit forward of my eyeline when I took it, the curse of a "proper" lena and camera!).
Thanks for the context. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, and drive with the seat fully back and my head close to the roof, so tend to look downish into the mirror.
2020 (MY21) F-Type R Coupe
British Racing Green

scm

Post by scm »

If you're ever down Southampton way you can sit in my car and see my spoiler! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

ZeusHavok wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:30 pm Depends on seat height etc.If their eye level to the rear mirror is different to yours then it's not gonna be apples to apples. Also that is in no way 60% less obtrusive lol
Not sure that is correct. It’s a flat plane mirror and pivots on a ball, so it’s height relative to the rear screen doesn’t change, nor does it distort images, therefore the view from mirror to rear screen doesn’t change even if you pivot it to accommodate different driving positions.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:24 am
ZeusHavok wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:30 pm Depends on seat height etc.If their eye level to the rear mirror is different to yours then it's not gonna be apples to apples. Also that is in no way 60% less obtrusive lol
Not sure that is correct. It’s a flat plane mirror and pivots on a ball, so it’s height relative to the rear screen doesn’t change, nor does it distort images, therefore the view from mirror to rear screen doesn’t change even if you pivot it to accommodate different driving positions.
Sure it does because there is a space between the rear glass and spoiler and your relative height to one affects the other. The mirror is just the method of viewing it so tbh saying relative to the mirror wasn't right but it was just the easiest way to explain what I meant in real terms.
MY2017 F-Type S AWD Coupe - Firesand Orange / Optioned out to heck and back.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

ZeusHavok wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:16 pm
Sure it does because there is a space between the rear glass and spoiler and your relative height to one affects the other. The mirror is just the method of viewing it so tbh saying relative to the mirror wasn't right but it was just the easiest way to explain what I meant in real terms.
I think you’rewrong,, but best to just agree to differ..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:40 pm
ZeusHavok wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:16 pm
I think you’rewrong,, but best to just agree to differ..
Eh how am I wrong? Hold your index fingers up one in front of the other vertically in line with your eye. Close one eye then move your head left and right, The closer object appears to move more than the further away one right?

In this scenario your head is your relative position in the car seat and your closer finger is the rear window and further away is the spoiler. Fundamentals of perspective, don't believe me just go sit in your car and lower and raise the seat then come back and tell me I'm wrong.
scm

Post by scm »

ZeusHavok wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:14 pmFundamentals of perspective, don't believe me just go sit in your car and lower and raise the seat then come back and tell me I'm wrong.
I think you're both right. The point being made is that as you move up or down you readjust the angle of the mirror, which should(!) maintain the same relative view.
ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

It doesn't though that's the point. Relative and exactly aren't the same thing. He's talking in percentages so if the seat height isn't the same then it's never going to be the same view out the mirror no matter the angle because the spoiler isn't the focal point of the mirror, the rear window is.

We can go back and forth all day, doesn't matter. I know what I'm saying is right, I deal in these levels of mechanical abstraction everyday.
SilverDreamMachine

Post by SilverDreamMachine »

scm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:45 pm I might try if it stops raining. I have to say I've never really found it to be problem for rearward vision, but I guess if you're used to no spoiler then having one pop up will seem like a bit of a spoiler of the view (see what I did there?).

One plus of the fixed spoiler is that it makes the car look great all the time, not just when the spoiler isn't deployed. :lol:
Another is it doesn't shout that you've exceeded 70mph. ;)
As the spoiler is deployable manually, then it doesn't say you've exceeded 70 mph - I often use it in rain when travelling 50 mph plus (i.e. the speed at which it un-deploys when slowing down). It is also a useful tool for calibrating where 70 mph on your speedometer - c.72 mph on mine.

Agree on the rear visibility, but as it is designed for high speed it is less of an issue for me. Really not sure on the styling and value of the aftermarket rear spoiler.
21MY P450 AWD, Coupe, Blue; ex-20MY P300, Convertible, Silver
scm

Post by scm »

SilverDreamMachine wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:23 pmAs the spoiler is deployable manually ...
Tell that to the folks in the US! ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post