Front crossbrace corrosion

Anything F-Type related......
Ftypeblues

Post by Ftypeblues »

I’ve seen several posts about rear cross brace corrosion issues but can’t remember anything about the front cross braces. I had my oil changed last Friday at KwikFit. When I picked up the car they advised me that I had serious corrosion issues with my front cross braces. They drain the oil from the sump not suck it out so they remove the under try which covers the front of these braces. They are protected from water and salt damage by the under tray but are directly under the AC condenser. Water must drip out them and the heat buildup must cause this accelerated corrosion.

My car is 8 1/2 years old but has covered less than 10000 miles, is always garaged so I was not expecting this. Has anyone else seen this issue and have they contacted Jaguar about it?

Thanks

IMG_3793.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I would say thats just surface corrosion, wire brush, some rust inhibitor and a spray can will sort that.
Also, what you doing taking it to quickfit and did you supply your own oil and filter??
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Kevlcat

Post by Kevlcat »

Mmm…the last pic is a bit more than surface corrosion methinks. But if you deal with it now you may have caught it in time.
That said the front cross brace is a lot easier to remove and treat properly than the rear.

I recently did all my rears and am removing the front at the end of the summer to get treated properly, replacing all the bolts etc (cos I like clean shiny bolts)

I know people have different opinions on refurbishing, but for the rears I had mine blasted, powder coated, then I thoroughly covered them in Dynax, cavity wax and so on.
MY17, V6S Coupe, Portofino Blue, Pan Roof and slightly naughty exhaust
Ftypeblues

Post by Ftypeblues »

It’s certainly not surface corrosion. Considering it doesn’t get any Road spray I think it’s really bad. I use KwikFit because they drain the oil out the sump rather than suck it out. So they remove the under tray and check for this type of issue. They supply 5w20 oil and filter. I have a good relationship with the mechanic who works there. I used Jaguar service for the first 4 years. All they did was change the oil and filter so what’s different?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post