On the market for an F-type R-rookie questions

Anything F-Type related......
Alex_gg

Post by Alex_gg »

Greetings!
I am on the market for 2022-2023 F-type R. I have always been huge fan of the F-type and as I need a GT car decided to get one. Few questions I have and will appreciate your input guys.
-OPF removal on the FL F-type- can it be done without remap? Definitely looking at a custom Ti exhaust fabrication, just do not need the DCT light on the dash
-Are there any lowering springs available yet for the FL F-type R awd? Seems like I can not find any online
-Brakes-any steel upgrades available or have to go straight to CC brakes? I had once(10 years ago) an XF-R and the brakes were similar to the OEM F-type R and they were bad...
-Not so interested in performance figures as the car will be used as a tourer and coming out of a 1500bhp Audi R8 not looking for comparison either. But how is the gearbox software on them as previous 6 speed ZF was sluggish as hell. Can it compare to any other BMW 8 speed ZF out there?

Many thanks in advance for your support on this.
Cheers.

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Alex_gg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:22 pm
-OPF removal on the FL F-type- can it be done without remap? = The MY20 pre facelift V8 cars are OK with OEM cats from earlier years. Facelift cars might/probably have monitored cats and non standard will probably need a map

-Are there any lowering springs available yet for the FL F-type R awd? Seems like I can not find any online. = Look at KW adjustable which lists current models on their website.

-Brakes-any steel upgrades available or have to go straight to CC brakes? I had once(10 years ago) an XF-R and the brakes were similar to the OEM F-type R and they were bad... = The steel brakes are fine for anything but repeated use on the track. You might look at PB Prakes as an upgrade, which people on here have done but mainly for looks.

- how is the gearbox software on them as previous 6 speed ZF was sluggish as hell. Can it compare to any other BMW 8 speed ZF out there? = Gearbox is very good, never been any complaints on the web. VAP do a map for it, if you thing is drag racing

Many thanks in advance for your support on this.
Cheers.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

I've never found the brakes to be inadequate so not sure of the value of upgrading them.

The 8 speed ZF is a great improvement over the 6-speed I had in my previous XKR - it seems to sense when I think it should shift and just does it! It's good at assessing how you're driving and shifts accordingly - short shifts if you're pootling along and red lines when you're flooring it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
jonm

Post by jonm »

I used to hate auto transmissions and would not consider switching from manuals, was planning on getting a manual V6 but noticed the auto's had better performace and mpg figures so gave an auto a test drive. I'm now a convert - why would anybody want a manual now auto boxes have gotten so good?
My16 F-Type V6 340
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

jonm wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:13 am I used to hate auto transmissions and would not consider switching from manuals, was planning on getting a manual V6 but noticed the auto's had better performace and mpg figures so gave an auto a test drive. I'm now a convert - why would anybody want a manual now auto boxes have gotten so good?
Fully agree - was a manual driver all my life until the newer ZF boxes came along and now would never go back. In fact my iX3 doesn't even have a box at all which is even better for a daily driver :)
I can always remind myself of the good old days of autos as I still have and drive a 5.9 small block Chevy mated to a 3 speed auto in a Jeep. Let's just say the gear changes are few and harsh..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

jonm wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:13 am... noticed the auto's had better performace and mpg figures
The 8-speed ZF is very good.

Regarding mpg figures, some years (decades?) ago I heard that during the test manuals were restricted in which gears they were allowed to use while autos could select whatever they were programmed to do, so they tended to pick higher gears thus more economical. No idea if that still applies these days.
Last edited by scm on Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Alex_gg

Post by Alex_gg »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Appreciate the inputs.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post