Finally found a good solution for a front facing, action cam bracket.

Anything F-Type related......
barrycraig

Post by barrycraig »

I've been looking for a good way to mount an action cam outside the car without using a suction cup, I know they are generally pretty reliable but I wanted to leave it outside for multiple hours at a time and didnt feel 100% comfortable doing that.

I've settled on using the front licence plate bracket (mandatory in the uk) as it is hidden and has surplus bolt holes. I'm just sharing my process in case someone else is interested in replicating, it does require that you lose the original licence plate plinth and convert to a magnetic licence plate.

Supplies:
  • 2x M5 40mm bolts and locknuts
  • 1x M10 allen bolt
  • 1x M10 wing nut
  • 18cm x 2cm strip of aluminium

Guide:
  • You need to use the aluminium strip to make a simple bracket. Mine is 19cm wide and 2cm tall, you need to drill two M5 holes 16.5cm apart to mount to the existing holes on the car and a single 10M hole in the centre to fit the camera mount. Bias the two smaller holes nearer the top of the strip so they clear the rest of the number plate holder.
  • Stick the adhesive rubber onto the pot magnets and trim down
  • Remove the licence plate and the plastic plinth
  • Use the plinth bolt holes as a guide to epoxy the 4 disc magnets onto the back of your licence plate.
  • Screw the 4 pot magnets into the holes that originally housed the plinth. I used a bit of threadlock here as well but might be overkill.
  • Use the M5 bolts and locknuts to secure the aluminium bracket to the holder
  • Attach the motorbike camera mount to the central M10 bolt hole.
  • reattach the now magnetic licence plate to the new magnets.

This combination is working perfectly for me, the licence plate is holding extremely strong and hasnt moved or fallen even on bumpy roads. The bracket can be permanently left in plate meaning just an allen key is required to very quickly remove the rest of the mount making it invisible when not being used. This is all made very easy now that the front licence plate can just be pulled off it's magnets.

Hopefully this is interesting/useful to someone else. It took some trial and error to get it all fitting nicely so seemed a shame not to share the process.

Cheers

brack2.jpg

brack1.jpg

Greystone

Post by Greystone »

Nice solution Barrycraig, especially if you're after the central camera position.
We've previously used a towing eye bracket adapter for the GoPro when we track day'd the MX-5, which although very sturdy, will be offset from centre.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 17.25.37.png

MY20, Chequered Flag, V6 340, Carpathian Grey.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post