Preparing the underside for winter

Anything F-Type related......
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Well, it's time to prepare for winter roads. The gritters will be out in force no doubt in the coming weeks, so I thought that I would endeavor to preserve the areas of the car that not only get the worst of the road salt/grit, but also tend to not get washed properly during the life of the car.

The plan is to spray the underside of the car with an anti- corrosion solution. I decided I would look to the aviation and marine sector for my chosen solution because the F-Type is mostly aluminium. Aluminium doesn't corrode in the same way as the likes of, say, mild steel. I'm not an expert in these things but I have had a few recommendations from various people about the product called ACF50 by Leer Chemicals in Canada. It was developed for the aviation industrty as an anti-corrosion solution aimed at preventing corrosion around the joints and rivets of aircraft fuselages. I recently discovered that they produce a slightly heavier grade of their ACF50 product, called 'Corrosion Blocker' which is more suited to the automotive and industrial vehicle sectors.

This is the stuff:

This is the first time I have made the effort to do this kind of thing on a new-ish vehicle, but I think it will be worth the effort as I plan to keep the car long term.

My car was clean and completely dry before I started the work. It would have been even better if the car had come straight off the production line, but it is now nearly 18 months old, so I was interested to see what I would find as I stripped back the wheel arch covers.
Apart from some sandy/gritty deposits in a few nooks and crannies, I was pleasantly surprised by how good a job those plastic inner wheel arch protectors do.

With the covers off, I bushed off any residual dirt from around the suspension components etc.. and wiped all the reachable surfaces down with a cloth that had a small amount of ACF50 on it. Once all was looking nice and clean, I started to spray the 'Corrosion Blocker' into all the crevices of the inner wheel arches, all the suspension, all the brake pipes, sensor linkages, fixings, brackets, electrical connectors (of which there are many! ).
This took me a full day to go around all four corners of the car.

I attempted to protect the brake discs from getting any over spray of the solution, but just for good measure, I wiped the discs over with some brake cleaner, before re-fitting the wheels.

So far so good.

The next job was to get an hour or so on a car lift, so I could do more of the underside of the car. This I did this morning. The roads were dry! Excellent!!

I removed the engine under tray in order to get better access to the engine bay area.
I decided to paint any mild steel under body brackets and braces (of which there are a few) with Waxoil (belt and braces! ) and then set about spraying the whole underside with 'Corrosion Blocker' followed with a careful wipe down of the excess runs and drips.
It's a messy old business, but i'm pleased I went to the trouble of doing it before the bad weather starts.

I took a few photos of the car on the lift before I started the spraying but once I got all messed up, I forgot to take any after shots...silly me, but in my defense I needed to get packed up and away up the road and was pushed for time.

It's not all that easy to see in these photos, but the black linkages and brackets are all the mild steel components that will rust pretty quick if they don't get some protection.

My next job will be to lift up the bonnet, doors and boot lid and spray some of the fluid in the hard to get at places around engine, door frame and boot cavities....Then follow on with a full wash and wax of the paintwork...Then i'm ready for the dreaded winter...By'ekk, it's grim up north! :-)

The Jagster2015-11-16 16:10:56
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.

Arne

Post by Arne »

Very impressive Jagster!

F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Nice work !!!
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Thanks guys.
Joemax

Post by Joemax »

Thanks Jagster for sharing your detailed account on the work you are undergoing, impressive stuff mate!
She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
captainham

Post by captainham »

Making me think I need to get mine done....
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

My pleasure, Joe. I hope it is interest to yourself and others here.

Captainham, I thinks it's peace of mind as much as anything else, but I have to say that it is quite rewarding to have done the work myself. It's pretty straightforward really. It's good to see all the suspension components looking in tip top shape and have the reassurance of knowing that all of those components will be preserved over the winter months.

Having done it once, I think it I will be able to repeat the process more quickly next year. I also think that the main priority is under the wheelarches/suspension and that just requires the use of a decent car jack. A wheel brace. A torx head screwdriver (for the wheel arch trim fixings). The main under body area isn't the main priority as it's not bearing the main brunt of the grit spray and it also has at least some underseal coating prior to the paint being applied.
DonGilham

Post by DonGilham »

I have a little Mazda MX5RF (joy to drive) which, historically, would rot if not treated, so I am taking to Rustbuster in Spalding who are going to underseal, cavaity protect etc etc.

Is it worth having it done to my F Type R, or - being aluminium - is the possibility of rotting less ?
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Hello Don.
I guess it depends on the cost to have it done and you're attitude to the long term condition of your car.
I did it because my intention is to keep my F-Type long term and I thought it was time and money well spent...plus, as I was doing the job myself, I would use the process as a way of getting more familiar with the areas of the car that we normally don't see or particularly care too much about.

I think that people assume that because a product is made of aluminium it won't corrode and cause problems compared to a product made using mild steel, but in essence the only main benefit (in theory) is weight saving....That said, it all depends on the environment that the car is being used in I suppose........All I can say is that i'm glad that I did my car. I will need to apply the corrosion blocker again every year or so, but the important point is that with AC50 corrosion block, it seeps into the slightest seam and joint which I think will make a big difference over time.
DonGilham

Post by DonGilham »

Thanks Jagster, that's made my mind up (doesn't take long !!) I think that with the money paid out to buy the F in the first place, the cost of keeping it rot free is small beer.

Thanks again :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post