Preparing the underside for winter

Anything F-Type related......
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

DonGilham wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm Thanks Jagster, that's made my mind up (doesn't take long !!) I think that with the money paid out to buy the F in the first place, the cost of keeping it rot free is small beer.

Thanks again :)
Your welcome Don :)

As a matter of interest, and if you don't mind me asking, how much are they quoting you? and what level are they going to on the job?

There are a fair number of plastic covers underneath the chassis and wheel arches. They will need to remove them in order to do the job properly and get access to the vulnerable dirt/salt trap areas.....Things to consider. ;)
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.

DonGilham

Post by DonGilham »

Thanks Jagster :)

Please, have a look at their website, and tell me what you think.

http://www.rust.co.uk/rustproofing-price-list/p512929

I had an MX5 NC done a couple of years ago, and it seemed a good job, but I would value your opinion, please.
Myer

Post by Myer »

DonGilham wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:34 am Thanks Jagster :)

Please, have a look at their website, and tell me what you think.

I had an MX5 NC done a couple of years ago, and it seemed a good job, but I would value your opinion, please.

Wow, looking at those pictures of the "rustproofing" treatment it's scary! Who would want to apply such a horrendous treatment to their beautiful F-Type. Sorry but that sort of sealant really should be reserved for commercial vehicles! :(
DonGilham

Post by DonGilham »

I must say that you have a point, Myer - especially when my precious F Type will only be dry-run !

:)
Myer

Post by Myer »

I do understand wanting to preserve the car, I too intend on keeping my F-Type for an indeterminate period, mainly because I am so happy with the car and cannot find anything better!

I have owned my F-Type R Coupe from new and is now just over 3 years old. I do have the luxury of keeping it at my home in Marbella, so corrosion is less of a concern however it does rain and when it does it's normally very heavy! I do try and avoid such weather but sometimes I get caught.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Myer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm Wow, looking at those pictures of the "rustproofing" treatment it's scary! Who would want to apply such a horrendous treatment to their beautiful F-Type. Sorry but that sort of sealant really should be reserved for commercial vehicles! :(
How have you come to that conclusion? Do you have any experience using it?

You appear to draw your opinion from somewhere. Please enlighten us all.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hang on members

before this kicks off .. we are not talking about Halfords 1980'S ford under seal that we all used to use .. that would makes things worse.

from I have seen this is a professional sensible approach that we would use to protect our cars .... sure I would not recommend slapping on Hammerite and thick black under seal .. this approach is not what we are talking about :)
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Myer is coming from the ‘thick & gloopy’ angle which wouldn’t be sensible on these modern beauties.

Much prefer The Jagster DIY approach of wheels off, physical clean in nooks & crannies & a light spray of whatever.

Peace 🌸
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

It seems as though my prose was picked up as being a bit too confrontational.

It wasn't meant to be. Just a straight to the point response, so I apologise up front, if I have offended Myer.

Perhaps his response was just based on an aesthetic opinion rather than from a technical standpoint (?).

Just in case anyone asks me why I chose AC50 corrosion blocker:

1. Because of it's 'creep' abilities due to it's low viscosity yet with good adhesion and resistance to being washed off by water spray.
2. It was developed for the aerospace industry as an anti-corrosion barrier on aluminium structures.
3. It is clear and odourless.
4. It can be removed easily with a degreasant, if required.
5. It is safe on automotive rubber and plastic materials etc..
6. It can be applied easily either with a brush or with a small pump sprayer.
(The pros usually use a proper spray gun set up, but that is usually more messy....mainly for speed an thoroughness of application).
Myer

Post by Myer »

The Jagster wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Myer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm Wow, looking at those pictures of the "rustproofing" treatment it's scary! Who would want to apply such a horrendous treatment to their beautiful F-Type. Sorry but that sort of sealant really should be reserved for commercial vehicles! :(
How have you come to that conclusion? Do you have any experience using it?

You appear to draw your opinion from somewhere. Please enlighten us all.
I was referring to the post by Don and my conclusions came from the pictures that were displayed on the website that he indicated: :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post