Warranty issues (autoguard)

Anything F-Type related......
Deleted User 3656

Post by Deleted User 3656 »

Hope the information I pass on may be of help to other owners I purchased my f type in Jan 2022 from Alpha cars Wigan (who have been of great help in this matter) and we love the car it was serviced by them and supplied with a warranty from Autoguard I paid a little extra to up to 3 years as we were away in jan and feb 2023 had car serviced by my local Jaguar Garage not main dealer in early March 2023 .I have just had a split header tank replaced that would be covered but the Warranty and guess what because we were 8 weeks late 6 weeks the car was in my garage not only will they not pay the claim but are going to cancel the warranty that still has 18 mts to run I am still in talks but it does not look.I will let you know how we get on, have to now decide at some time to buy another warranty or take a risk? so to all owners if you have a warranty check the small print lucky for me this was only a small job could have been worse

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Not good news at all but luckily only a small item that has flushed out the issue.

The way many such companies operate the policies to exclude claims as wear and tear, serviceable items, etc., or look for failures to comply with the terms (such as your late service) is the reason I never have and never will take a payable aftermarket policy (warranty). You can't blame them as the business model is a simple one and the less paid claims the more profitable. Other variables are very hard to move.

If you do decide to get another policy I would very carefully check that the late service does not invalidate the new policy, as they will also be happy to take your money..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

I take the premium and put it aside for anything that needs doing. That way I know it'll pay out, and on balance I've always been on the right side of the equation. Having a very good independent is a massive help, of course. An aftermarket warranty is actually just an insurance policy, and if they're proftable (which they have to be overall), you'll be the one out of pocket. If you're a "peace of mind" guy, then they're worth having.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

scm wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:58 pm I take the premium and put it aside for anything that needs doing. That way I know it'll pay out, and on balance I've always been on the right side of the equation. Having a very good independent is a massive help, of course. An aftermarket warranty is actually just an insurance policy, and if they're proftable (which they have to be overall), you'll be the one out of pocket. If you're a "peace of mind" guy, then they're worth having.
it is just insurance but the insurance company spreads the risk across multiple customers to be able to charge less. Your policy has only one car to spread the risk over so putting aside the equivalent of the policy cost in case you need a repair only works if you're one of the lucky ones. So you might never need the fund or it may be utterly inadequate if you lose an engine.

The problem however with the warranties is that the aftermarket ones are nowhere near as useful as the manufacturer warranty. In my recent case of a failed injector, the warranty company required a quote for the work based on the expected time to repair based on JLR's official service manuals before the claim could be approved and therefore before the work could commence; in my case that took several weeks. A JLR warranty would have simply been a matter of finding a dealer that actually has availability to do the repair.
scm

Post by scm »

HaloJones wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:39 pmYour policy has only one car to spread the risk over so putting aside the equivalent of the policy cost in case you need a repair only works if you're one of the lucky ones.
Er, it only doesn't work if you're one of the unlucky ones! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It's a topic covered many times before as to buy or not.
For peace of mind buy a policy. As aftermarket don't expect it to pay out in all or any part of some claims. Much is already excluded.

I've done the maths and running multiple cars over decades then I'd have been a clear loser, even if the engine fell out.
If I said just £500/annum at 2023 rates on 2 of the cars for 20 years I'd have lined the pockets of the aftermarket warranties to the tune of £20k. (I have more cars and over a lot longer, but some had oem warranties). Biggest bill ever was £4k for a new twin turbo on the Evoque.

Of course it's no different to the lottery, or any other statistical 'game'. On average you'll lose, but someone wins and that's what we hear about on forums - lottery winners not the millions of no win tickets.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 3656

Post by Deleted User 3656 »

Bit of a update they paid for the repair (as goodwill) but have scrapped the policy not happy but lesson learned,that happened yesterday we are in Spain in motorhome and got clamped in Santander have had better days but first world problems.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've had warranties provided on used cars in the past and usually they weedle out of most stuff that commonly happens. The Jaguar Approved warranty appears to be unusual in that it does appear to pay out and cover most things, but comes at a higher price.

What's interesting is that a lot of warranties are underwritten by the same few companies, so it could be a case of JLRs financial muscle. I had my passenger side headlamp replaced recently as the LED J blade was dimmer than the other one. No problem £2500, so I'm in credit for another 2 years. I'm sure a different warranty would've refused it as the LED was still working, or due to wear and tear clauses.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

mickjaguar wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:07 am I'm sure a different warranty would've refused it as the LED was still working, or due to wear and tear clauses.
They'd have refused it because most other warranties don't cover lights.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post