A prospective new SVR roadster owner's questions

Anything F-Type related......
shnuggiedan

Post by shnuggiedan »

Hi all.

As title really. I'm hoping to purchase an SVR roadster over the next few weeks (just waiting for some investments to pay out) and even have my eye on a local one, but before fully committing I've got a couple of questions that you guys can hopefully help with.

Firstly, are there any massive issues with the soft-top SVR that I need to look out for? I've scoured this forum and the wider internet and can't really find much that's worrying me but most of the posts I've found have been from years ago. Obviously they're complex cars and things can go wrong, so I've a trusted independent I can call on, but it'd be nice to keep an eye out for any warning signs off the bat. I'd be looking at MY17/18/19.

Secondly, is there a site somewhere where I can enter the VIN or registration of a car and see its build sheet or service history? I've no reason to doubt any sellers and obviously the SVRs are well spec'd from factory but I was able to do this with BMWs I've owned in the past and it satisfied the inner geek in me.

Finally, I've read posts online about GPFs being added after certain build numbers that dampen the sound of the exhaust system somewhat. This concerns me, as one of the reasons to buy a raging soft-top V8 is the soundtrack... If I do end up with one of these cars, is it really that noticeable? I've viewed a couple (a 19 plate and an 18 plate) and honestly couldn't tell the difference at idle or full chat, but maybe I got lucky? Ditto with software changes - I've read and heard people comment that a specific software version applied by JLR when the car goes in to the service centre causes changes to the sound - any truth in that?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions or advice for my search, hopefully I'll be posting here a lot more often next month!

Dan

scm

Post by scm »

You can check the service history at osh.jaguar.com, you just need a VIN. To check the noise you need to select dynamic mode on your test drives, I think the GPF was added around MY19. Not sure whether the sound quietener update applied to SVRs, so maybe someone here knows that. My MY18 R AWD had the first update applied and all it did (as far as I could tell) was change the valve opening revs from tickover to about 1500 rpm - the valves still opened on tickover in dynamic mode, and no change in the pops and bangs when driving. And it still wakes the neighbours on a cold start. :oops:

Enjoy the test drives! And welcome to the forum (and potentially the club)!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

If you want a check, need a VIN from a VRN, want to know if it has a GPF or for any history then post a VRN and I'll have a look.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
shnuggiedan

Post by shnuggiedan »

scm wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:53 pm You can check the service history at osh.jaguar.com, you just need a VIN. To check the noise you need to select dynamic mode on your test drives, I think the GPF was added around MY19. Not sure whether the sound quietener update applied to SVRs, so maybe someone here knows that. My MY18 R AWD had the first update applied and all it did (as far as I could tell) was change the valve opening revs from tickover to about 1500 rpm - the valves still opened on tickover in dynamic mode, and no change in the pops and bangs when driving. And it still wakes the neighbours on a cold start. :oops:

Enjoy the test drives! And welcome to the forum (and potentially the club)!
Thanks for the welcome! Good to hear that you've had an update and it hasn't materially changed the sound of the car. Appreciate the service link as well :)
simpleR wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:18 am If you want a check, need a VIN from a VRN, want to know if it has a GPF or for any history then post a VRN and I'll have a look.
Thanks simpleR, had seen your name mentioned in a few other threads :) The car I'm looking at at the moment is SAJDA5AE7KCK56130.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

What's the reg?
Lux37

Post by Lux37 »

There is plenty of good technical advice on this forum which is really useful when searching for a F-type.
My experience for what it's worth with the soft top SVR pre GPF that in Dynamic Sport mode with the roof down is that the exhaust note is simply awesome along with the car being a great drive IMO.
I did test drive a post GPF SVR during my search last year and the exhaust note was quieter at lower revs but it was a coupe in all fairness.
I hope the search is no doubt enjoyable and you find the right car for you.
2017 SVR Convertible,Caldera Red
shnuggiedan

Post by shnuggiedan »

simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:26 am What's the reg?
Sorry, I've not read properly and given you the VIN :roll:

Registration is MM18 VHA.
Lux37 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:36 pm There is plenty of good technical advice on this forum which is really useful when searching for a F-type.
My experience for what it's worth with the soft top SVR pre GPF that in Dynamic Sport mode with the roof down is that the exhaust note is simply awesome along with the car being a great drive IMO.
I did test drive a post GPF SVR during my search last year and the exhaust note was quieter at lower revs but it was a coupe in all fairness.
I hope the search is no doubt enjoyable and you find the right car for you.
Thanks for that. There definitely is a lot of information on here, I've only been looking a little over a week but most evenings I've plowed at least an hour into reading around :lol:

And agreed, the exhaust note when driving the SVR is intoxicating. Initially I wasn't sure whether it would be that noticable compared to the standard R, but it definitely is :D
shnuggiedan

Post by shnuggiedan »

simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:26 am What's the reg?
Hi simpleR, have you had chance to run a check on the SVR for me?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sorry, in Spain at a wedding.....
Back Tuesday
shnuggiedan

Post by shnuggiedan »

simpleR wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:40 pm Sorry, in Spain at a wedding.....
Back Tuesday
No worries, thanks for getting back to me. Will check in again late next week some time, maybe even with an update to say I've bought it... :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post