Windscreen elements failed?

Anything F-Type related......
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi all, I have a 2016 v6s and the windscreen seems to have an issue. On cold mornings there's a 30-40mm strip right infront the drivers seat (1/4 way across the screen) that doesn't seem to clear. Anyone had similar issues? Is it a whole new windscreen thing?
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.

Kev

Post by Kev »

The elements are in two halves with a supply and ground point in each of the 'A' posts, so it'll be a new windscreen or just live with it as the residual heat will eventually clear that bit. Or use a Sharpie* to draw a crack in the swept area of the wiper and hope the windscreen fitter doesn't rumble you

*Other brands of permanent markers are available
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

The car is still under warranty with the RAC from the dealer at the moment. I might see if I can blag it. It's annoying though, there's no chips/cracks or damage so it's odd that they've died in that spot.
Kev

Post by Kev »

They do fail as the elements are rather thin, and I've not worried too much about it in the past but it is somewhat annoying. Maybe employ the services of some local youths to throw stones at the screen...or a centre-punch and tapping stick would do the requisite 'damage'👀
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
Dynamic Dek

Post by Dynamic Dek »

These HS2 lorries are well known for rocks to fall off the back and put a big chip in the windscreen right in the middle of the drivers view.
P450 21MY Firenze Red
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

I might try and claim on the RAC warranty. No point having it if it doesn't cover stuff like heated windscreens. I wouldn't bother but it's a large stripe right in the centre of the drivers view which is really annoying in the mornings as we head into winter. Spend the first few minutes driving with a pillar in the middle of my eyes 😂
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Yes, it's a new windscreen required. Strangely enough, last year a stone cracked my (previously perfect) screen and the new screen fitted had exactly what you describe, a 40mm strip right in the middle of the driver's vision which didn't clear. This required another screen change. So, if you do get a replacement screen, make sure you check the new one!
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

NavigatorNI wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:00 pm Yes, it's a new windscreen required. Strangely enough, last year a stone cracked my (previously perfect) screen and the new screen fitted had exactly what you describe, a 40mm strip right in the middle of the driver's vision which didn't clear. This required another screen change. So, if you do get a replacement screen, make sure you check the new one!
Out of interest who did you get to do it in the end? Did you get a genuine screen or a copy?
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

It was organised through my insurance company and the whole experience was a disaster, see viewtopic.php?t=6610

When the windscreen company replaced the screen the first time, I assume they must have turned on the ignition when the screen was out and consequently had all mirror/auto wiper/auto headlight/humidity sensors disconnected. This caused all sorts of problems which the windscreen folk tried to cure by putting new screens in, while hinting that the problems didn't exist or were pre-existing.

The good folk on this forum eventually pointed me in the right direction. My independent successfully cleared the resultant fault codes and after 2 replacement screens the wipers worked properly again. It was at this stage I discovered that the latest new heated screen had 2 faulty heating elements, necessitating a 3rd change.

All this took 5 months and countless visits to the windscreen depot, not helped by the fact that 2 other screens had arrived damaged and couldn't be fitted. Fortunately it only cost me my windscreen insurance excess plus a lot of time & aggravation.

To answer your question, the replacement screen was manufactured by Fuyao who, I think, also made all the other glass in my car.
Last edited by NavigatorNI on Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Well that story has made me regret even asking! For reference this is what I'm currently dealing with. I'll see how I get on with the warranty.

20230925_064358.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post