SVR Exhaust Sound 2016-2018 vs 2019 vs 2020

Anything F-Type related......
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

Hello,

I'm looking for a used SVR but I've heard the exhaust was killed around 2019 when the particulate filter was added. This video plays the sound for a 2019 and it sounds incredible to me. Is this what people are referring to as "quiet" or is the 2020 worse? Anybody have a similar video of a 2020 MY?

I drove a 2016 S and it definitely crackled more but I don't care as long as that's the only difference.

JekVI

Post by JekVI »

The 2020 would have the same sound as the 2019 - the particulate filters were added midway through 2018 (see my post here for the first VIN that had the filters: viewtopic.php?p=74774#p74774)

I believe the crackles are the main difference between pre- and post-filters, though I specifically looked for pre-filters so not 100% sure - either way pulling fuse 15 (to keep valves permanently open - the exhaust button does not do this since ~2017) makes a massive difference so if you're happy with the post-filter noise just do that :grin:
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

JekVI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:25 pm The 2020 would have the same sound as the 2019 - the particulate filters were added midway through 2018 (see my post here for the first VIN that had the filters: viewtopic.php?p=74774#p74774)

I believe the crackles are the main difference between pre- and post-filters, though I specifically looked for pre-filters so not 100% sure - either way pulling fuse 15 (to keep valves permanently open - the exhaust button does not do this since ~2017) makes a massive difference so if you're happy with the post-filter noise just do that :grin:
I saw a video of a 2019 and a 2020 and the sound difference was huge though. So is what you said correct? Your signature also says you have a 2019 without the filter so I'm confused.
scm

Post by scm »

MY19s started production in spring 2018. Jaguar likes to get ahead!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

scm wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 pm MY19s started production in spring 2018. Jaguar likes to get ahead!
Ah so the beautiful sounding 2019 I heard must have been an early one
JekVI

Post by JekVI »

brianmccann wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:54 pm
scm wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 pm MY19s started production in spring 2018. Jaguar likes to get ahead!
Ah so the beautiful sounding 2019 I heard must have been an early one
Ah yes the confusion of Model Years vs Actual Years :lol:

Assuming a car isn't on a private plate then you need to check an 18 plate onwards basically - I got lucky that mine is an 18 plate but pre-filters meaning I also got the bigger infotainment screen as standard (though that's easily retrofit on any MY18 too (mid 2017 actual year - with the LED headlights)).
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Things to look out for:
1) hardware differences i.e. whether the exhaust has a GPF - change happened mid 2018
2) engine map - I understand jaguar have amended the map over time to reduce pops and crackles to help preserve the life of the catalyst and generally make less anti-social (some cars may not have had the update applied but cars serviced at main dealers probably will have been updated)
3) exhaust valve software (part of engine map) - later cars only open the exhaust valve above 3k revs (can be solved by removing fuse 15 so valve open 100% all the time)

My 19MY October 2018 car (with GPF) is definitely quieter than an early 2018 car I tested. Removing fuse 15 does make a difference but it’s not a big difference - I expect the difference is bigger if you don’t have GPF.
If you want a newer car and are willing to go aftermarket then a change to high flow cats and a remap will allow you to make the car as loud and popping as you like.
Only you can decide what is acceptable - I was originally adamant I wanted a pre GPF car but when I found a newer car in the perfect colour/spec I changed my mind (and it still sounds great to my ears) - so don’t rule out any options and do some test drives!
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

jagseven wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:41 pm Things to look out for:
1) hardware differences i.e. whether the exhaust has a GPF - change happened mid 2018
2) engine map - I understand jaguar have amended the map over time to reduce pops and crackles to help preserve the life of the catalyst and generally make less anti-social (some cars may not have had the update applied but cars serviced at main dealers probably will have been updated)
3) exhaust valve software (part of engine map) - later cars only open the exhaust valve above 3k revs (can be solved by removing fuse 15 so valve open 100% all the time)

My 19MY October 2018 car (with GPF) is definitely quieter than an early 2018 car I tested. Removing fuse 15 does make a difference but it’s not a big difference - I expect the difference is bigger if you don’t have GPF.
If you want a newer car and are willing to go aftermarket then a change to high flow cats and a remap will allow you to make the car as loud and popping as you like.
Only you can decide what is acceptable - I was originally adamant I wanted a pre GPF car but when I found a newer car in the perfect colour/spec I changed my mind (and it still sounds great to my ears) - so don’t rule out any options and do some test drives!
I don't think I could accept buying an f-type when I know there are older ones that sound better. I rented a 2014 for a weekend a few years ago so I already know how they should sound too.
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

Does this apply to US f-types? I'm looking at a 2019 SVR and the salesman sent me a video of revs. It sounds quieter and there were no crackles but he also said the active exhaust wasn't switched. Can I swap the cats out to fix the problem or do the US ones not even have the filters?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post