Buying extended warranty and service plan?

Anything F-Type related......
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

My car is coming up to 3 years old now, has 9500 miles and I’ll be doing around 3k miles pa going forward. I’m going to extend the warranty and can see that I can buy a long term service plan, looks like both can be paid monthly and the price is fixed today. All can be done on line or through a dealership, not sure if it makes a difference to the individual dealer. Does any member have experience/opinions.

On the extended warranty cover. is it comprehensive and handled by dealers fully?

On the extended service plan. Are there any extras that are not covered within, are the dealers receptive when booking?

Should I buy on line or just settle directly with a dealer?

Many thanks,
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes both can be bought online.

The warranty is probably the nearest thing is OEM. My left headlamp J blade was slightly dimmer than the right and it was replaced (£2500).

Service plan is pretty much the same prices as booking individual services via the Jaguar website. Except that the price is fixed for the contract and monthly payment. However, not all dealers are listed when booking individual services via the website. My local dealer isn't and is much more expensive, so I buy the service plan and they do it anyway 🙃.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Before buying any warranty or extending you need to read the detailed terms to see what is covered and ensure that it meets your requirements. Typically dealers sell insurance backed policies and these cover much less that the OEM warranty.
Just be sure who is selling you what and not just trust a dealer or hitting a 'buy' button.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I think by “extend the warranty” the OP is planning to take out the Jaguar extended warranty, which is as comprehensive as you will get, covers to the value of the vehicle and includes £750 mot failure cover.

If doing so I would recommend going the whole hog and not the lesser priced version, as £200ph labour costs and items such as led headlights soon add up.

Each to their own on this - some put a sum of money by each month instead, but it does offer good breakdown cover too and in my case covered a list of things over the years including a £15k short engine block when it threw a crankshaft shell.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Lunar wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:47 am I think by “extend the warranty” the OP is planning to take out the Jaguar extended warranty, which is as comprehensive as you will get, covers to the value of the vehicle and includes £750 mot failure cover.

If doing so I would recommend going the whole hog and not the lesser priced version, as £200ph labour costs and items such as led headlights soon add up.

Each to their own on this - some put a sum of money by each month instead, but it does offer good breakdown cover too and in my case covered a list of things over the years including a £15k short engine block when it threw a crankshaft shell.
Hi Lunar,
I fully understand that the intended purchase is the JLR extended, but my comment was to ensure that op doesn't hit the 'buy' button without ensuring it meets his exact needs. Your second comment re the less priced option illustrates the minefield of warranties.

I for one am a serial non-purchaser of warranties and am £10's of '000's to the better over a few decades with multiple cars and little significant going wrong. Others like to sleep in the knowledge (or at least belief) that they are covered and of course some over the short to mid term benefit.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

MikeM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:38 am On the extended service plan. Are there any extras that are not covered within, are the dealers receptive when booking?

Should I buy on line or just settle directly with a dealer?
The service plans cover the scheduled actions against each service at the time of purchase. If JLR changes the schedule afterwards, then additions are not included. For example V6 spark plugs were a 6th service item in 2015 and moved to being part of the 5th service somewhere around 2018.

I've had service plans since 2015 and used two different dealers. It has made no difference other than I only have to pay for the MOT on collection. Current dealer couldn't match the online service plan price and said it looked like a good deal.

It all comes down to the numbers and more importantly if the people looking after your car are OK. I don't have a good indie nearby and my SVR isn't included in the 3+ scheme.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Additional to what cj10jeeper has said (and this is the only time I’ve ever bought a warranty too) I think the days of dealers being “on your side” with warranties seem to be over from what I’ve read on here in the past year or so.

Also, it does seem that the newer build cars appear to be having fewer issues - but that may well be anecdotal.

Much like investments it all boils down to your feelings and comfort with risk.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

Service plans or planning a service + MOT!.
So i have pretty much the same [baby] beast as you, MY21 P450 now with a few more than 9k [😊] on the clock.
I looked in-depth at what was available, even attended a dealership for the explanation.
Initially ended up with a strange quotation which i challenged the next day. It was escalated up to another expert and eventually the dealerships service plan manager contacted me and all was sorted out.
I took a 5 year plan with the extra care pack [intermediate service check, MOT + MOT £750 ins], paid up front and am locked into that as a JLR package [cancellation under certain terms is available].
I will take the JLR extended warranty in Jan and renew all subscriptions, lazy?, yes probably, but a little piece of mind is that for the next coming years all is done [except consumables].
It is a JLR service plan so i am not tied to a particular garage, even within the UK [travel to visit family & friends in Europe].
Regarding the alteration of contracts, this has to be agreed by both parties, the T&C's agreed & signed to cannot be changed retrospectively without the agreement of both parties. So if a change is made then there is some recourse, may be cancellation of agreement with monies back.
Long winded but...... as it says on the app Go Drive!
MY21 P450AWD Coupe BRG
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’ve got until the end of the year to sort, definitely want to go JLR warranty and tie in with a service plan for two or possibly three years. It looks like the upfront payment or the monthly instalments are the same price? If so it’s a No Brainer.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
Ratboiler

Post by Ratboiler »

Very interesting read and I am in the same boat with a decision to be made by Dec.
I have to say I haven't got right into it yet but am erring on the side of DaveP.
I have a very good independent approved Jaguar service agent locally.
So I would like to extend the manufacturer warranty for 5 years but service at the local approved garage not the main dealer is this possible or am I lining myself up for a battle should an expensive problem occur?
2021 R Portofino Blue, Convertible, Black interior, Sports seats.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post