Heated/Cooled seats option

Anything F-Type related......
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Hey guys!
I’ve got heated/cooled seats in my R, mad that the car doesn’t come with them at ‘standard’ so my question is, do you think every car does actually have them in the seats, it’s just not unlocked?
Mo from LR retrofits unlocked traffic sign recognition and auto high beam assist on my R, so just wondering if they all come with the same seats it just needs enabling?

This is if I swap it in for a SVR!

Cheers!
2017 R
South East Cornwall

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

No, because you need the specific perforated seats for the cooling function.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Ah!
2017 R
South East Cornwall
scm

Post by scm »

Heating and cooling is done by Peltier cells and fans (hence the perforated seat leather), whereas heated-only seats have electric elements.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

The performance seats in my MY21 P450 are perforated but I didn't opt for the heat/cool option when I specced the car (and to be honest, I don't really miss the feature), but aside from the seats themselves, the heating adjustment buttons are different, so even if you were to somehow enable the feature within the car brains, the buttons won't push in to allow you to select the seat heating/cooling feature.

The one thing I had wondered was whether the seats were 12-way as standard too, with just the doorcard buttons differing, since there's already the belief that the newer cars have come with the centre speaker even if you don't pay the £1000 extra for it.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Cluck wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:47 pm The performance seats in my MY21 P450 are perforated but I didn't opt for the heat/cool option when I specced the car (and to be honest, I don't really miss the feature), but aside from the seats themselves, the heating adjustment buttons are different, so even if you were to somehow enable the feature within the car brains, the buttons won't push in to allow you to select the seat heating/cooling feature.

The one thing I had wondered was whether the seats were 12-way as standard too, with just the doorcard buttons differing, since there's already the belief that the newer cars have come with the centre speaker even if you don't pay the £1000 extra for it.
I agree that some manufacturers are building in features that can be activated for payment at purchase or later in the lifetime. For £500 I can for example activate dynamic suspension on a BMW iX3. Nobody does it, but they tested it on the facelift M sport to see uptake.

I'm however sure there is no way that the manufacturer of the seats is going to give away (or JLR pay for) a whole set of motors, module and seat looms to make the extra adjustments possible, when seats are built from a set of modules (runners, base and back frame, motors, internal functions (airbags, inflatable bolsters, etc.), control module, padding and covering.
I've converted 3 cars inc. a Jaguar XF to different seats and in each case dismantled to the base components to reconstruct as I wanted, so am confident it's not 'hidden'.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I would have thought the same, but it struck me as curious that the older performance seats didn't appear to have the ventilation holes, whereas the newer ones do, even when the heating/cooling option isn't specified. If I ever get around to it, I'll give the LR Retrofits folk a buzz and see if they can take a look.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I may be wrong (it has been known) but I don’t think the cooling function was ever an option with the original Performance seats - ditto with the Sports seats if you had the suede inserts.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

Perforated seats will obviously work with a heating element, but non-perforated ones won't work with the fans! Maybe Jaguar standardised on one type of leather for all seats, regardless of heating/cooling options?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Cluck wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:14 am I would have thought the same, but it struck me as curious that the older performance seats didn't appear to have the ventilation holes, whereas the newer ones do, even when the heating/cooling option isn't specified. If I ever get around to it, I'll give the LR Retrofits folk a buzz and see if they can take a look.
Would be interesting to see what they say.
As posted above though perforations are not a definitive indication of heating and cooling being fitted. They can be cosmetic too. Clearly no perforations precludes it.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post