Michelin PS4S Tyres

Anything F-Type related......
Kiwi_in_ABD

Post by Kiwi_in_ABD »

As its seems thats Michelin PS4S tyres have a good reputation I had them fitted to MY20 5.0 V8 P450 AWD Type R in July as the Pzeros had about 2.5mm left.

The grip seemed OK at first, however since its started getting cooler (I live in Aberdeen) the performance seems to have dropped significantly and now in the cold morning when going around corners the car feels real floaty and not at all planted.

I had wondered if any other members driving V8 AWD models with PS4s have come across this ?

Considering biting the bullet and going back to P Zeros as these were OK

Thanks
Kiwi

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Consider a set of Winter tyres. Much better solution than swapping back or to any other Summer tyre.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

+1 for winter tyres - definitely the way to go.

However, if used in temperatures above 7 degrees they will wear quicker, so it's a waiting game to decide when to fit them. Also best on a set of winter wheels so you're not constantly stretching both sets of tyres and having to re-balance too.

Have a look at the small Michelin man on the sidewall - the scrub line from cornering should pass through his middle - if the line is high (the tyre is rolling too much on corners) then you should add 0.1 bar more air and check again in a few weeks, and if the line is low (the tyre is not rolling to its optimum performance level) you should reduce the pressure by the same amount.

Other than that it may be the AWD system proportioning the drive to the front and rear axles in the low temperatures and grip levels. If you can find an empty car park nowadays (yeah unlikely!) you could do some low speed cornering to satisfy yourself what is happening.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Tel

Post by Tel »

I've had MPS4S's fitted since they came out...I found anything under around 15C (amb) and you could tell they needed to come up to temp before 'working' them.

I run 35 psi all round on the lighter RWD, this seems to be the sweet spot by the time they get to temp in the summer, so you might consider dropping them down a few psi cold each day and seeing what feels best for you.

Driven through winters in earlier RWD F-Types and I think I landed around 31 psi all round, but play around with values for yourself.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Kiwi_in_ABD

Post by Kiwi_in_ABD »

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have considered the Winter Tyre route however didnt want to fork out for rims and tyres and also the faff of changing the wheels every 6 months + wheel storage space. Its a shame there are no all seasons tyres available in our sizes !

I did wonder about tyre pressures and have already had a bit of a play around with pressures but did not notice any real changes, will investigate further !
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

I also considered the Michelin’s recently but opted for the continental sport 7 on recommendation from my trusted supplier and a comparison video.

The continentals have transformed the car, softer rubber excellent grip and also in the wet as experienced in the last few days of heavy rain.

Although here in Berkshire is not as cold as up north the last couple of nights the temperatures have dropped to 4 or 6c the tyres felt very good, much better than the Pirelli’s I had before.

Going back to the hard p zeros in my opinion would be a step back.
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Also +1 for the CS7’s.

I’ve now got these on the front, with PS4s’s on the rear, and very happy with the sharp steering feel and general confidence.

For me the PS4s are a bit expensive now for their age and not the clear class leader they have been for some time now.

I doubt you’d find anyone recommending all season tyres on a performance car, as by default they are an average for the very different demands of summer and winter.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

Living in Aberdeen?, that's the problem, move south😂
MY21 P450AWD Coupe BRG
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

I’ve had both Pzeros and PS4S and both are very good - my experience is perhaps similar to OPs.
The PS4S is a a better summer tyre but maybe the Pzero is a better all rounder dealing with colder weather better.
I currently have Pzero on my F-Pace and PS4S on my F-type.
Pzero does wear very well - have done 30k miles in F-Pace and still on original tyres with 4mm tread still left!
Not tried the Continentals.
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
Kiwi_in_ABD

Post by Kiwi_in_ABD »

DavidP wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:07 pm Living in Aberdeen?, that's the problem, move south😂
Better roads for driving on up here !

I Just want to keep the car on the black stuff !

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post