What could be causing this lights issue?

Anything F-Type related......
vika01

Post by vika01 »

I am leaving the car to the dealership next week so they can fix it. Very weird issue with the DRL and headlights. Turning on/off randomly no matter if I am on auto or whatever light mode. I have no idea what’s causing it. https://youtu.be/ZVgq6W9c47s?si=KTuxD8n3QS5WROMO
2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.

ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

Points towards a dodgy wiring connection. Does it do the same if the car isn't moving and the engine is off?
MY2017 F-Type S AWD Coupe - Firesand Orange / Optioned out to heck and back.
vika01

Post by vika01 »

ZeusHavok wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 pm Points towards a dodgy wiring connection. Does it do the same if the car isn't moving and the engine is off?
Only while the engine is on and the car is moving.
ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

vika01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:10 pm
ZeusHavok wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 pm Points towards a dodgy wiring connection. Does it do the same if the car isn't moving and the engine is off?
Yeah I would say it'll be a dodgy connector (water ingress) or maybe a dodgy earth connection. If you've got it in a garage they will be able to diagnose it no problem, especially if it's repeatable from motion of the car. you can just wiggle connectors till it does it.

I would say though, be careful about dealerships. They will offer to just replace parts outright at a premium instead of repairing. Unless it's under warranty and they are paying for it :D
MY2017 F-Type S AWD Coupe - Firesand Orange / Optioned out to heck and back.
vika01

Post by vika01 »

ZeusHavok wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:08 pm
vika01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:10 pm
Yeah I would say it'll be a dodgy connector (water ingress) or maybe a dodgy earth connection. If you've got it in a garage they will be able to diagnose it no problem, especially if it's repeatable from motion of the car. you can just wiggle connectors till it does it.

I would say though, be careful about dealerships. They will offer to just replace parts outright at a premium instead of repairing. Unless it's under warranty and they are paying for it :D
Thanks, yes I know. I don't prefer going to dealerships for things like this but in this case I need to. Will see what they say.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Could be a whole host of issues including some of the above.

DRL's seem to do some odd things, most of all seem to be go into side light or dim mode when the other one is bright.

Only way to tell is to plug a good known unit in and see if it does it with that one as well.

I've looked at a car that had one side dim, threw no codes at all, which points in the direction of the DRL/LED assy itself.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩