My F-Type is poorly ... again... any advice would be lovely

Anything F-Type related......
cclark1994

Post by cclark1994 »

Hi all,

New to the forum and wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues and any advice would be helpful...

The story begins recently after I purchased my 3.0 V6 F-Type 2018 340ps (33000miles) back in late April 2023. A message showing my GPF was full with a red EML appeared on the dash. Drove as suggested under 50mph doing the suggested revs to clear for 20-30 mins. Nothing... so I booked it in with JLR main dealer and of course, when taking it in there was no light. (34395 miles) However, found historic fault codes, cleared and retested found P2463. Sensors checked, regen performed and test drive carried out. Given all clear and car returned.

Then in early August, mileage now 37123 an amber EML appeared on the dash, flashed and went off first time and then stayed on when I restarted the vehicle to drive home from where I had been. Booked it in to JLR again, fault code P226D-00 for GPF missing substrate. Removed bank 1 oxygen sensor and inspected top of bank 1 GPF unit and all visibly ok. Checked connections, all secure, no leaks on pipes/hoses. Requires replacement of bank 1 GPF pressure sensor and made aware that if issues persists and new GPF may be required. Sensor replaced JT2R33464

Early September 2023 (Mileage 37713)
EML back on... when to an independent due to the length of time given by Main Dealer and also, they hadn't fixed the issue... twice... Fault code P226D-00 found, GPF has failed on bank 1, required a replacement and retest. New CAT/GPF unit (12829699/PRN167042/R183098). Work done under extended warranty and vehicle returned in perfect working order. Happy at last....

Until yesterday, 5th November. Mileage 40,500. Driving 30mph through a local village, having just started the vehicle and heading out for lunch, flashing EML then it went out and felt reduced power. Got it home. Turned it off. Turned it on, issue gone, took it less than a mile up the road to see if it reappeared but it didn't. Managed to borrow a diagnostics kit from a friend and I've posted what I've found below.

The vehicle is driven by my partner and I, we warm the vehicle up prior to any enthusiastic driving but aren't spanking it. The vehicle had been driven the day before from Buckingham to Soho and back and had no issues whatsoever. Motorway speeds and cruise control most of the way, except of course in Khan's 20mph section... @#Β£!... the point is we really don't abuse it and when its working love the car very much... have I just got really bad luck?

Anyway, the vehicle is booked back in for Thursday 9th November 2023 and will update this then but any and all advice welcome.. I am no mechanic and new to the forum world so please explain as if you're talking to a moron...

IMG-20231106-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20231106-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20231106-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20231106-WA0003.jpeg

2019MY 3.0 SC V6 R-Dynamic 340PS
Ultimate Black
Fixed Wing
20" Split Rim Style Black Alloys

Tel

Post by Tel »

cclark1994 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:21 pm Hi all,

The vehicle is driven by my partner and I, we warm the vehicle up prior to any enthusiastic driving but aren't spanking it.

Anyway, the vehicle is booked back in for Thursday 9th November 2023 and will update this then but any and all advice welcome.. I am no mechanic and new to the forum world so please explain as if you're talking to a moron...
Welcome to the forum.

There's quite a few reports of failed cats, this is the first GPF that I've heard of, but I've not searched as I'm a non filtered 2015 owner.

Well done for allowing the engine to warm up. This is super important, and from my external dashboard (that shows my rear differential, gearbox, oil and water temperatures) I can tell you that the V8, driven gently takes a good 12 minutes before it's up to operating temperature fully. I'd hazard a guess that the V6 is not that different.

I'm not sure if you have heard of the 'Italian tune-up' method, it's what these engines need.
You see, we have crappy Bioethanol fuel (unless you're fortunate where you can still get 0%!) and generally mediocre driving conditions for such big engines, and they 'choke'.

They like to be thrashed. Thrashing them gets the cats and GPF up to optimal temperature and can do their job.
It also means that the fuel pressures and injector speeds are maxed out keeping them clean too.
If you do regular short trips/commute or get stuck in traffic jams a lot, then make an excuse to take it out with the sole purpose of clearing its throat.

So, my advice, as I'm sure other long term owners will agree (that have not had any problem whatsoever) is to spank it!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
cclark1994

Post by cclark1994 »

Interesting point regarding the fuel, we do 3:1 ratio with V-Power and non V-Power due to the cost but we do only use Shell Fuel anyway. Never know if its a gimmick or actually doing something but think its likely to better than the supermarket stuff. However, something to keep in mind!

Regarding the spanking, its not to say that we don't drive it quickly and I like to go up and down the gears, why wouldn't you, it sounds grrrrreat! Just didn't want users to think I drive it likes its stolen constantly πŸ˜‚

We don't daily it and is used as a fun car as I have a Mercedes Vito for work and my GF works from home. So most of the time its for going somewhere worth driving but thanks for the reply nonetheless 😊
Ultimate Black
Fixed Wing
Tel

Post by Tel »

Plenty of videos on the tube about fuels, a lot of smoke and mirrors.
Basically, ethanol is robbing you of miles as its calorific value is less than fuel i.e less bang for your buck.

Try South Marston service station in Shrivenham rd, they sell Super unleaded Ethanol free fuel.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
jonm

Post by jonm »

How can you find out which petrol stations are selling ethanol free?
My16 F-Type V6 340
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

An MY18 (MY=model year) doesn't have a GPF (gasoline particular filter) though.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cclark1994

Post by cclark1994 »

Apologies, finger slip on the signature which I've now amended 😬 cheers for that! It is a 2018 car though, first registered 14/08/2018. K in the VIN. So was that when they brought in the stupid things... 😫
Ultimate Black
Fixed Wing
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jonm wrote: ↑Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:11 pm How can you find out which petrol stations are selling ethanol free?
Think the only one often stated to have zero ethanol is Esso Synergy Supreme +99, but they have to state up to 5% as that is the recognised standard. I believe it’s dependant on which terminal they are supplied from, sites supplied from Scotland, North Wales, North England and Cornwall are not zero.

Note:The South Marston service station mentioned by Tel is Esso.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

cclark1994 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:45 pm Apologies, finger slip on the signature which I've now amended 😬 cheers for that! It is a 2018 car though, first registered 14/08/2018. K in the VIN. So was that when they brought in the stupid things... 😫
Midway through MY19 GPF were added. The V8's was around car number 59207 (last 5 digits of VIN). Unsure on v6's so would be interested in what number car yours is.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post