F-Type model range query

Anything F-Type related......
Mr Spanky

Post by Mr Spanky »

Good evening, new to the forum, and new to F-Types

As said in my intro post, I do not currently own an F-Type, but, I am looking to purchase one soon

The query is, what are the different models, and what are the differences?

I have seen a few advertised recently as 'Chequered Flag' models, what exactly does that mean?

Where in the model line up does it sit?

Thanks in advance

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

I believe the Chequered Flag edition, like other editions, is just a "special edition" spec level. This would include others like the British Design Edition, Reims Edition etc. Normally this is just whatever the model is plus a certain level of equipment, special paint/interior etc at a lower initial cost than if you individually ticked those option boxes. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong there.

It could be argued several ways but I would say there are 3 model categories with subcategories/special editions within and it's based around the engine. You have a 2.0 inline 4, a 3.0 V6 and a 5.0 R.

The 2.0 inline 4 is called the P300 (not sure if it used to exist under a different name before they brought in the "P" element).
The 3.0 V6 comes in 340HP, 380HP (S or P380) and 400HP (400 Sport) versions.
The 5.0 V8 R comes in 450HP (P450), 550HP (R), 575HP (P575, SVR and Project 7)

I think for the very first cars there was also a V8S that was a 500HP V8 and basically an R but not called an R or something to that effect.
There are then spec levels within each of these such as R-Dynamic, S etc. These will add varying equipment but for example the V6 S has 40HP more than the standard V6, but I believe it also added a limited slip differential and adaptive damping which is why they are more sort after than the standard V6.

I should also mention that some cars are RWD and others AWD.

I'm sure the true experts will be along shortly to correct me/add to the list but that's what I can recall from my awful memory of the different versions.

EDIT - I also forgot there is a less obvious facelift that occured around 2018 to keep an eye out for.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
scm

Post by scm »

If you give us a clue as to your budget we can offer more targetted advice about the cars you're likely to be interested in.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Mr Spanky

Post by Mr Spanky »

Not really thought about budget, it's more a case of actually liking the look/feel of the car
scm

Post by scm »

stefan9107 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:50 pm I also forgot there is a less obvious facelift that occured around 2018 to keep an eye out for.
It's quite obvious for the front air intakes - the original had a vertical piece in the middle which was changed to horizontal at MY18 (see mine).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Kev

Post by Kev »

There are also the different brake specs with some having larger rear as an option. The callipers will be red/black/yellow, the yellow also an indication of ceramic discs
The AWD also have torque vectoring, and they can be distinguished by placement of the bonnet vents
Some options were the fixed rear spoiler, active exhaust, visibility pack, cold weather pack (heated steering wheel), powered tailgate, dual-zone climate, heated windscreen, side skirts...once you start looking at the pictures you'll be able to see what it has/hasn't got
The infotainment had a facelift around MY16 then MY18(?). There's the standard Jag sound system then two levels of Meridian with many speakers
Seats are either sport or performance, the latter having the 'wings'. Not all were specified with memory seats either

Some of the options can also be enabled by LR Retrofits

I'm sure we'll all look forward to spending your money on a car
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

A great resource that I would recommend is a book called "Jaguar F-Type: The Complete Story" by Andrew Noakes.

The latter half of the book has a few chapters dedicated to all the different F-Types, their specs, variants and special editions.
V6S RWD Coupé (MY16)
Italian Racing Red w/Black Pack & Pano-roof
Loads of toys & goodies... but no heated seats :?:
JekVI

Post by JekVI »

Kev wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:50 am There are also the different brake specs with some having larger rear as an option. The callipers will be red/black/yellow, the yellow also an indication of ceramic discs
The AWD also have torque vectoring, and they can be distinguished by placement of the bonnet vents
Some options were the fixed rear spoiler, active exhaust, visibility pack, cold weather pack (heated steering wheel), powered tailgate, dual-zone climate, heated windscreen, side skirts...once you start looking at the pictures you'll be able to see what it has/hasn't got
The infotainment had a facelift around MY16 then MY18(?). There's the standard Jag sound system then two levels of Meridian with many speakers
Seats are either sport or performance, the latter having the 'wings'. Not all were specified with memory seats either

Some of the options can also be enabled by LR Retrofits

I'm sure we'll all look forward to spending your money on a car
The infotainment got it's significant upgrade in MY19 which starts on an 18 plate (this added OTA updates plus Apple CarPlay / Android Auto and feels much more modern with it's much larger screen and no physical buttons) - this is another thing to bear in mind that when reading the forum as almost everyone refers to Model Years NOT calendar years (Jag starts their MY in spring the previous year hence MY19 starting in Spring 2018)

One other thing I can think of that I don't think has been mentioned is that early cars were all RWD, with AWD becoming the norm around MY16 I believe (someone will correct me here). I've had both RWD and now AWD - the RWD is no where near as death-inducing as some lead you to believe, and the AWD is also just as fun being predominantly RWD most of the time too (with the added security in our climate for all year round fun) so you can almost ignore this 'difference' (which I would have never said if I hadn't tried both FYI).
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

And to complicate matters a bit more. :)

About the MY18 facelift - not all models got horisontal pieces across the air intakes. The R did, but I think that was the only one that got that change. Another obvious MY18 facelift thing is LED headlights which were fitted to most (but not all!) facelift cars.

The MY18 infotainment got updated also in the units with the smaller 8" screens with physical buttons, including SOTA etc. Only difference between the 8" and 10" screens is the screen size and that the CarPlay/Android Auto feature works on the 10" screens.

AWD became a norm over time only for the R cars. The four cylinder, six cylinder and 2nd facelift V8 cars all were available with RWD all along.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post