MY18 P340 Manual Caldera Red

Anything F-Type related......
Moss

Post by Moss »

WShudds wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 am Speaking of the chrome trim, the smaller section that contours the rear window on the passenger side has discoloured during previous ownerships. I've tried all I new in terms of product (from Autoglym metal Polish to Never Dull) applied by hand and nothing worked.

Does anyone know the technical spec of this trim? Is it chromed plastic or aluminium or something else? The car has just turned 6 years old and is out of Jag's warranty (I got 1 year RAC warranty). I did think of having a cheeky exploratory chat at the local dealership to see what they'd say or offer.

I had a quote for a replacement piece from someone else in the trade but as it's a single trim around the entire passenger side, it's quite expensive (£500 + labour). The dealer I bought it from offered to buff it for me to see if it helps but I'm not convinced it's going to work.

I know I could try and wrap it in silver chrome or just black it out and it's an option I'm considering but has anyone here experienced this discolouration or knows of a product that's guaranteed to work?

Pictures are from both sides for comparison. Any help would be much appreciated.
I’m pretty sure the discolouration to the window trim surround is due to UV degradation from the sun. Quite probably the car has been parked with one side subjected to more intense sun than the other, during its lifetime.
I doubt any polishing compound will recover it.
I’ve seen replacements on the Bay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 9&_sacat=0
But, it may be just as effective to have your own piece wrapped.
I also think vwbreakersuk, at Leverton, Boston are breaking X152 so may also have a similar part?
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.

WShudds

Post by WShudds »

scm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:35 pm
WShudds wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:47 pmMy car was registered in September 2017. Although I got the Meridian sound system and the software concurs with MY18s, the hardware is from a 2017 model year.
Is digit 10 of your VIN J - that'd be MY18, H for MY17.
Yes, it's J which makes the whole story even more confusing! I got excited that I could eventually upgrade to the 10" screen going by the VIN but I'm not sure now. I do prefer the physical buttons of the current unit Tbh.
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

@Moss

Thanks, it turns out that using a 1" pad on a rotary polisher with some Flitz metal polish has done the trick. I haven't finished restoring it yet but it's looking 10x better already. You need a lot of patience and a few pads to remove the oxidation from that section only.

I looked into replacing the trim but the headline needs to come off, not a DIY thing and I was worried about messing up with the interior. If polishing didn't work, I'd have it wrapped. Thanks for your suggestion though.
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

Just to keep this thread updated, I had the first service done including sparks and brake fluid, MOT for £550 at Jaguar Huddersfield. Quite happy with the service including the inspection video. I got a sample of the old oil ready to go out for analysis with Miller Oils.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post