2019 SVR Test Drive Disappointment

Anything F-Type related......
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

MarkP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:19 pm
That's exactly the problem. In the old ones you could let off and the rpms would drop as it crackles. Now it just holds the rpms like it's searching for the next gear. How do I get it to crackle? Up-shift with the paddles at 5000?
[/quote]

Mines a 2017 but I cant prompt the pops without really opening the throttle and in town thats not advisable. On the open road I am using the paddles. If you are in town or a slow road I just accelerate in 2nd in manual mode with dynamic on and exhaust valves set to open.
[/quote]
Sorry if I'm dense but you accelerate in 2nd gear and let off at what rpm? I'm going to test drive it again tomorrow morning and really want this to work. Does upshifting or downshifting work better?

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Yeah the old ones are loud. Even in tamest normal auto mode, give it some beans and lift off for the fireworks noises. 😀
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Moss

Post by Moss »

brianmccann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 pm Sorry if I'm dense but you accelerate in 2nd gear and let off at what rpm?……….. Does upshifting or downshifting work better?
As already mentioned….not difficult….
Best effect with revs over three thousand, on a trailing throttle, using paddles, and gently/continually feathering the throttle.
The use of paddles will inhibit the gearbox hunting for a higher gear/lowering revs.
Dynamic mode, and the exhaust flaps need to be open (which they should be in that mode anyway).

Again, are you sure the exhaust flaps are working correctly and not seized shut on your test car?
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Please also check that Dynamic Mode is in factory setup mode. See my car thread here, about half way down for explanation.

viewtopic.php?t=2034&start=20
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

you also need to use high grade fuel
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

simpleR wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:38 am Please also check that Dynamic Mode is in factory setup mode. See my car thread here, about half way down for explanation.

viewtopic.php?t=2034&start=20
Well I checked this and you were right. Everything was set to comfort mode. Unfortunately it didn't help with the exhaust. There's definitely more to this than the forum understands because this 2019 sounds like a vacuum cleaner compared to other ftypes I've driven and it doesn't even have the software updates people point to. I'm so disappointed it sucks.
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

Moss wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:05 am
brianmccann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 pm Sorry if I'm dense but you accelerate in 2nd gear and let off at what rpm?……….. Does upshifting or downshifting work better?
As already mentioned….not difficult….
Best effect with revs over three thousand, on a trailing throttle, using paddles, and gently/continually feathering the throttle.
The use of paddles will inhibit the gearbox hunting for a higher gear/lowering revs.
Dynamic mode, and the exhaust flaps need to be open (which they should be in that mode anyway).

Again, are you sure the exhaust flaps are working correctly and not seized shut on your test car?
It actually is difficult because this 2019 refuses to do it. I've driven a few other ftypes and you're right, it's not usually difficult. Just gave up and driving the 500 miles home.
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

brianmccann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 pm
Sorry if I'm dense but you accelerate in 2nd gear and let off at what rpm? I'm going to test drive it again tomorrow morning and really want this to work. Does upshifting or downshifting work better?
5000rpm is best as gives loads of time to keep feathering the throttle. I did it this afternnon and it was ridiculous. U can do at lower RPM but harder to maintain pops as revs will drop faster. Its a bit like juggling. Somebidy also mentioned fuel grades. I use Shell 99RON in UK. Suppose being a test drive you may not know what fuel is in the car. Also did you have the car in dynamic on the 1st drive?
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

You've done the right thing, this car will not pop and bang. It's got the modern tune.
No overfueling on the overrun, not good for the fuel economy, CO2, or the CATs

My 2017 SVR will pop and bang on the over run going down hill with foot off the throttle and Just std mode.

I test drove a car just the same in my search,
I had to move on, keep looking theyvare out there.
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post