2019 SVR Test Drive Disappointment

Anything F-Type related......
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

I thought I had done enough research to determine when the exhaust sound got neutered. I just drove 500 miles to test drive a 2019 (US model so no particulate filter) and it was shocking how quiet it was. I couldn't get it to snort or crackle at all! The video below is a 2019 though and it sounds great:

So some sound right and others don't? I even tracked down the maintenance records and it didn't have any record of the "exhaust killer" campaigns.

Moss

Post by Moss »

Can you be certain both flaps weren’t seized shut on your test car?
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

Moss wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:02 am Can you be certain both flaps weren’t seized shut on your test car?
I mean it was loud as hell and I could make it quiet with the active exhaust button. Just no pops and crackles. Looking on YouTube it looks like it may just be more difficult and require using the paddle shifters?
Moss

Post by Moss »

brianmccann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:24 pm …. Looking on YouTube it looks like it may just be more difficult and require using the paddle shifters?
I’ve seen a few YT vids explaining how to get your crackle and pops, on the right car. 👍
The “right” car will pop and crackle in either auto, or paddle mode, at the rights revs.
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Need at least 3500rpm then lift. Best is 5000 rpm after hard acceleration then feather the throttle as it drops and get pops down to about 3000rpm. I find it easier with paddles, no control in auto as when come off throttle autovalways searches for higher gears to get to around 1500rpm. Can get pops in auto but short lived.
scm

Post by scm »

MarkP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:59 pm Need at least 3500rpm then lift. Best is 5000 rpm after hard acceleration then feather the throttle as it drops and get pops down to about 3000rpm.
In my MY18 I find just tapping the throttle very gently and repeatedly does the business rather than feathering it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

scm wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:55 pm
MarkP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:59 pm Need at least 3500rpm then lift. Best is 5000 rpm after hard acceleration then feather the throttle as it drops and get pops down to about 3000rpm.
In my MY18 I find just tapping the throttle very gently and repeatedly does the business rather than feathering it.
Yeah that seems to be the difference. In the MY19 you need to be very exact about it and even then you only get the pops sometimes
brianmccann

Post by brianmccann »

MarkP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:59 pm Need at least 3500rpm then lift. Best is 5000 rpm after hard acceleration then feather the throttle as it drops and get pops down to about 3000rpm. I find it easier with paddles, no control in auto as when come off throttle autovalways searches for higher gears to get to around 1500rpm. Can get pops in auto but short lived.
That's exactly the problem. In the old ones you could let off and the rpms would drop as it crackles. Now it just holds the rpms like it's searching for the next gear. How do I get it to crackle? Up-shift with the paddles at 5000?
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

brianmccann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:52 am I thought I had done enough research to determine when the exhaust sound got neutered. I just drove 500 miles to test drive a 2019 (US model so no particulate filter) and it was shocking how quiet it was. I couldn't get it to snort or crackle at all! The video below is a 2019 though and it sounds great:

So some sound right and others don't? I even tracked down the maintenance records and it didn't have any record of the "exhaust killer" campaigns.

Think you may need to look at this post, viewtopic.php?t=6208
Although as you say there's no G P Filter fitted to the US model, It may be possible that all engines were made / mapped the same, regardless of where they ended up!
So a look at the VIN may confirm that the car you test drove is a later/ crossover model even if it’s listed as MY19.
I’m sure Jaguar eliminated the “on command” pops and crackles at the same time as introducing the GPF.
There are some but very random.

You wouldnt need the drive by exhaust killer patch on the later models as its built into the Origenal MAP
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

[/quote]
That's exactly the problem. In the old ones you could let off and the rpms would drop as it crackles. Now it just holds the rpms like it's searching for the next gear. How do I get it to crackle? Up-shift with the paddles at 5000?
[/quote]

Mines a 2017 but I cant prompt the pops without really opening the throttle and in town thats not advisable. On the open road I am using the paddles. If you are in town or a slow road I just accelerate in 2nd in manual mode with dynamic on and exhaust valves set to open.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post