In the market for an F-Type..... advice needed

Anything F-Type related......
gc301

Post by gc301 »

Looking at V8 AWD coupes (as most advice received advises the AWD V8 over the RWD V8), I'm surprised how much more the AWDs are?!

For a nicely specced AWD e.g here:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 00&fromsra,

it's nudging 40k, but for the RWDs on sale you can get similar mileage and spec for almost 10k less, e.g. here:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 00&fromsra

That near 10k gap can't be down to a couple of years newer on the reg and the vents being better positioned on the AWD so the water leak into the engine problem doesn't happen surely? Anyone know why there's such a delta? If I ring a seller or dealer listing a RWD and verify that those plates have been put in under the vents that stop the leakage problem, and then when I buy it spend £500 on a Apple Carplay retrofit for the tech inside, is it basically then the same car (obvious driving dynamics of RWD / AWD aside)

Thanks

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I guess the two year age difference justifies some of the price difference but 10k does seem like a lot for two years and AWD.

I think it's quite rare that people put in any additional cover under the RWD bonnet vents so it's unlikely that the seller or dealer will even know what you're talking about. :) Anyways this RWD one already has the better "shrouded" vents which let in much less water than the open ones.

The newer AWD car seems to have the newer non-sticky interior plastics for what it's worth.

The newer one does have a slightly more modern infotainment system but they're both too old to have the OEM CarPlay so you'd have to retrofit it regardless of car.

Apart from the RWD/AWD they are pretty much the same.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

gc301 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:58 pm Looking at V8 AWD coupes (as most advice received advises the AWD V8 over the RWD V8), I'm surprised how much more the AWDs are?!

For a nicely specced AWD e.g here:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 00&fromsra,

it's nudging 40k, but for the RWDs on sale you can get similar mileage and spec for almost 10k less, e.g. here:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 00&fromsra

That near 10k gap can't be down to a couple of years newer on the reg and the vents being better positioned on the AWD so the water leak into the engine problem doesn't happen surely? Anyone know why there's such a delta? If I ring a seller or dealer listing a RWD and verify that those plates have been put in under the vents that stop the leakage problem, and then when I buy it spend £500 on a Apple Carplay retrofit for the tech inside, is it basically then the same car (obvious driving dynamics of RWD / AWD aside)

Thanks
From my experience when I was buying, AWD on the older models does tend to command a slight premium but nothing that crazy.
I think the dealer there is just trying to sell at the "old" price in the hope that someone will pay it. Prices are kind of all over the place as the market has only really just dropped the last 5-6 months. Some are looking to offload even at a loss whilst others still want their profit.

For example... you picked out this RWD one at £31,500. I think I've even seen that one posted on here. The price is competitive which suggests the owner has priced it to move.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... JZ&fromsra

But then this near identical one that is also RWD with just a couple thousand less miles wants £38,000. My guess is they are into it for £34-35,000 and are still trying to make a profit.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... JZ&fromsra

Pretty much the same car with a £6500 price difference. Somehow I doubt the dealer asking £38k sells theirs first...

AWD ones do come up at better prices though. I was keeping an eye on things as I was testing the waters on possibly selling mine. I had it on autotrader at £35k which I think is reasonable, but after being dicked around for a while I opted not to sell as the only reason I was thinking about it is down to not using it enough. I would just be patient and see what comes up.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

That first Autotrader example may be cheaper but 6 owners! Personally wouldn’t even consider it.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
M2Nel

Post by M2Nel »

munchie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:38 pm Before I bought my p450 I was shopping Db11s and 2020 vantages, they were OK. But when I drove the p450 I fell in love with the drive and looks
I have am m3 v8 as well but the F is in a different league.
I have AWD and glad I have as it can get twitchy in the wet, and often the dry 😀

The M2 is a good car, the F a great car unless you need the rear seats that is.
So the Ftype was better than the 2020 Vantage ? Thats good to hear. I wish i had kept my V8 m3 as a second car
Ftype R AWD
munchie

Post by munchie »

M2Nel wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:43 pm
munchie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:38 pm Before I bought my p450 I was shopping Db11s and 2020 vantages, they were OK. But when I drove the p450 I fell in love with the drive and looks
I have am m3 v8 as well but the F is in a different league.
I have AWD and glad I have as it can get twitchy in the wet, and often the dry 😀

The M2 is a good car, the F a great car unless you need the rear seats that is.
So the Ftype was better than the 2020 Vantage ? Thats good to hear. I wish i had kept my V8 m3 as a second car
And so much better than the DB11 , however the dealership at Nottingham, where I had the test drive were amazing. Dealership was very very swanky, they just handed me the keys to the Vantage and said come back when you want.

The m3 is great apart from the extortionate road tax which makes the Jags a bargain.
gc301

Post by gc301 »

What do you guys think of this? :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... l-a-friend

Wasn't coming up in the AWD filtered search, just saw it on a wider search and wondered if it was actually an AWD or not because I noticed the wider positioning of the bonnet vents - rang the seller just now and he confirmed it's an AWD, just the listing doesn't say that.

I've found most other AWDs (in spec I want) to be high £30ks which is stretching me - wonder if this has slipped under the radar and stayed unsold because the seller didn't mention the AWD? I don't love the colour combo of yellow calipers to red interior, wondering how much of that can be rectified after-market though Description says it was a Jag press car, immediate red flags went off in my head saying it's been thrashed and abused but seems to be more a car they displayed rather than drove, and the mileage claim by each service doesn't shout a horrible life.

What do you guys think? Thanks
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

gc301 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 pm What do you guys think of this? :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... l-a-friend

Wasn't coming up in the AWD filtered search, just saw it on a wider search and wondered if it was actually an AWD or not because I noticed the wider positioning of the bonnet vents - rang the seller just now and he confirmed it's an AWD, just the listing doesn't say that.

I've found most other AWDs (in spec I want) to be high £30ks which is stretching me - wonder if this has slipped under the radar and stayed unsold because the seller didn't mention the AWD? I don't love the colour combo of yellow calipers to red interior, wondering how much of that can be rectified after-market though Description says it was a Jag press car, immediate red flags went off in my head saying it's been thrashed and abused but seems to be more a car they displayed rather than drove, and the mileage claim by each service doesn't shout a horrible life.

Can't say I'm a fan of the red interior but that's a matter of personal preference.
Carbon ceramics, provided they are in good condition should last you a long time (100k+ miles) and not be an issue. HOWEVER, if there are any issues with them the replacement bill would be somewhere in the £10-15k range for discs alone from memory. I'm not sure how easy it would be if you decided to change them for standard discs later but someone else might have experience with that.

A bit of an odd one with the first two years, but with 276 miles the story fits with it being a promotional car of some sort.

If you can get the VIN number you can take a look at the service history here: https://osh.jaguar.com/ Just to make sure it's had the right services at the right intervals etc.
The MOT history is a bit odd to me as the first one was in March 2018, but that could have something to do with the registration date vs build date vs when it was actually sold date...
It also had an MOT supposedly in March 2022 AND July 2022 despite being a pass on both. Again, might be because the new owner wanted a clean bill of health or got the dealer to update it for alignment with a service etc... not really sure.

If you do check it out and like it, I'd fully recommend a car vertical check just to make sure it hasn't been in a smash or got outstanding finance etc. That check should also confirm the dealers story about who owned it when etc.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

gc301 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 pm
This car is an odd one!
Car 18531 but it was PDI in 2014 which doesn't match the VIN order and is not AWD on Jaguar system but shows as 2016 model and is AWD on various other records.

It did 276 miles in the first two years before being recovered by COPART in October 2016 and serviced so I can only presume it was a very early AWD R demo but display car.

The second service is then recorded as 2024 and 30785 miles so a huge gap of 7+ years.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
gc301

Post by gc301 »

Thanks both for the insights & running various checks etc.... slightly mysterious history on the car isn't filling me with confidence.......

Think I'll hold still for a bit and just see if any other AWD V8's come up around £35k or less, just also conscious I don't want to miss the market uptick when it goes back up (but no one has a crystal ball)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post