Has anyone tried installing this? 10" CarPlay screen on pre-2017 F-Tye

Anything F-Type related......
Dabk

Post by Dabk »

Good Afternoon all,

I am keen to get Apple CarPlay in the Jag and am considering 2 options:

1) a plug & play 'box' such as the Unique-Auto Developments supplied IDCORE solution (which utilises existing screen):

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireles ... 2015-2017/

2) a full 10.25" replacement screen with CarPlay functionality:

The UAD boxes are tried and tested, however I have not been able to find any first hand reviews of people who have successfully fitted the full screen option. I understand that the OEM 10" screens can be retrofitted to 2017 cars, but not pre 2017 cars. This new option (if it works well) would mean that those of us with earlier cars could also enjoy the 'full screen experience'.

I am reluctant to pull the trigger given the lack of first hand reviews of the full screen option. Has anyone installed such a system and if so, how has it performed?

Thanks in advance!

stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Everything I've read has suggested that it's not possible to have the 10.25" screen on any pre-2017 cars, at least not without some risks and minor bugs/non-functional parts.
There were a bunch of guys in the US that worked with a Chinese manufacturer but ultimately after getting the system 95% working they all ended up failing I believe. I think one guy was even $5000 USD into it as well. You can read the full saga here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ad-210198/
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
scm

Post by scm »

Didn't Harry Metcalfe (of Harry's Garage) get the screen in his Project 7 upgraded?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

MrGB on YouTube has done it, I'm sure a quick search on there would find his videos on the upgrade. You can only do it for specific VINs.

The UAD option is v good - I've had it for a while now and it works extremely well.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

scm wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 pm Didn't Harry Metcalfe (of Harry's Garage) get the screen in his Project 7 upgraded?
Unless I'm mistaken I think he just did the UAD install, not a screen size upgrade.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

elugelab wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:55 pm MrGB on YouTube has done it, I'm sure a quick search on there would find his videos on the upgrade. You can only do it for specific VINs.

The UAD option is v good - I've had it for a while now and it works extremely well.
His is MY18 with the right infotainment system so he was able to do it.
Dabk

Post by Dabk »

Thanks all. Harry's is the UAD box and MrGB's is the official Jag one which he got from LR Retrofits. He was able to do this as his car is >2017.

To date, I've not found any reviews of these after-market 10" options which supposedly fit all model years.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Dabk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:02 pm I am keen to get Apple CarPlay in the Jag and am considering 2 options:

1) a plug & play 'box' such as the Unique-Auto Developments supplied IDCORE solution (which utilises existing screen):

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireles ... 2015-2017/

2) a full 10.25" replacement screen with CarPlay functionality:
This may be of interest to you?....viewtopic.php?p=66450#p66450
captainham wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:50 pm
KHatman wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:50 pm Now that looks tempting, just wish it had the ICTP Pro (large screen) so It could have Apple car Play.
Best £500 I've spent!
https://unique-ad.co.uk/

F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I cannot comment on the screen swap, however I have good experience of the Chinese suppliers. I have previously installed a rear tailgate lift to an Evoque which had extensive electrical and electronic modules and miles of looms, connectors, switches, etc. Fitted many other devices to but in BMW’s.
The email service the companies provide is excellent, so I would advise you to contact them with photos of the screen, year, model, etc. I find questions at night always have a clear response by morning and faults and parts replacement are promptly resolved.

No harm in asking question and posing the pre 2017 concerns.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post