Brakes grinding/seizing after sitting

Anything F-Type related......
tomosap

Post by tomosap »

Wondered if this is a common problem with these cars. I have a P340 which gets driven every few days, sometimes a week will go by between runs.

The brakes always sound like hell the first few times you use them but you can still hear them quite clearly through the cabin even after a good few miles of use, but what worries me is that it seems like the calipers seize on after sitting for more than a week (which happened recently when we were on holiday despite having wheel covers in place). Brake pads were pretty much new when I bought the car and have about 7mm left on them.

Is it worth booking into a garage to get them to strip down the calipers on all 4 wheels and grease up the appropriate parts? I have a Jag warranty on the car but cba arguing with them over it as they need to be able to reproduce the issue before they'll touch it, so was going to take it to a decent independent, but wanted to ask here whether I'd just be throwing money at a non-issue or if it's worth doing as PPM?

Cheers,
Tom

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

It’s not an uncommon problem when a car is left standing idle for a while, especially with current wet weather. Surface rust on the discs can cause the pads to bind, once released they should clean up after a few firm applications of the brakes. If I’m leaving the car stand for a while I disengage the parking brake, but of course you need to be safely located and on a flat surface, just ignore the warning alarm when you open the door. Also have to remember if you have/use remote start it won’t work if the brake is not applied.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
scm

Post by scm »

Mine often sits for a few days and gets the old red mist on the rotors, but after the first brake application they clean up and have never made a grinding noise or seized. I always use the EPB (sloping drive!) and have never had an issue with it. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post