Brake pad and disc size (thickness)

Anything F-Type related......
Billymcmred

Post by Billymcmred »

Evening everyone,
I’m hoping for a little more help and advice.

I will be looking at an F type on Saturday advised by SimpleR to check rear pads and disc’s, car is a KR22 reg number dealership has confirmed it’s a management car ( I will ask to see proof - auction listing) to ensure it’s not been experience day car
I was wondering what thickness the pads would be from new and what thickness the disc’s would be from new (front and rear thicknesses if possible)
i am expecting some wear as mileage is around 11,000 just wondering how much is about right for that kind of mileage, my thinking is too thin possibly experience car heavy use, to thick possibly been replaced - again might point to experience car

TIA
P450 Firenze Red 8-) MY 2022/23 no mods yet ;)

Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

Or might point to them just being replaced. Common symptoms of bad rotors include vibration or pulsation in the steering wheel, high-pitched squealing noise when braking, shaking steering wheel, brake pedal pulsing, vehicle taking a long time to stop, loud bangs while braking, large edges on the outer part of the brake rotor, and scratch marks on the rotor, are they deeply scored or discoloured. Are Don't stress about sirface rust , that happens to all cars.
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Jaguar TRW (Brembo) Fronts are 19mm new and rear 9mm.
Presume wear indicator kicks in at 3mm.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Billymcmred

Post by Billymcmred »

Steveglenlee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 pm Or might point to them just being replaced. Common symptoms of bad rotors include vibration or pulsation in the steering wheel, high-pitched squealing noise when braking, shaking steering wheel, brake pedal pulsing, vehicle taking a long time to stop, loud bangs while braking, large edges on the outer part of the brake rotor, and scratch marks on the rotor, are they deeply scored or discoloured. Are Don't stress about sirface rust , that happens to all cars.
Thank you
I will check for scratches and scores on disc’s also outer edge ridge,
I was just trying to get idea on thicknesses so I could measure an ‘actual’ rather than relying on a judgement I’m hoping they haven’t been changed and got plenty of life in them as this would hopefully indicate it has been a management car and not a experience car
Billymcmred

Post by Billymcmred »

simpleR wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:53 pm Jaguar TRW (Brembo) Fronts are 19mm new and rear 9mm.
Thank you again 😁
I thinking front bias for breaking so maybe 65% life on front pads left so 12-13 mm and rears should be around 80% life so maybe 7-8 mm for 11,000 miles I think should be somewhere handy and would mean pads lasting 30-40,00 miles hope my maths are good 🤞
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Billymcmred wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:44 pm
simpleR wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:53 pm Jaguar TRW (Brembo) Fronts are 19mm new and rear 9mm.
Thank you again 😁
I thinking front bias for breaking so maybe 65% life on front pads left so 12-13 mm and rears should be around 80% life so maybe 7-8 mm for 11,000 miles I think should be somewhere handy and would mean pads lasting 30-40,00 miles hope my maths are good 🤞
One thing to factor in is the torque vectoring. Not sure which car you are looking at, but if it does have torque vectoring it will use the brakes at the rear to help turn the car during fast cornering. As such, the rear brakes can wear faster than you realise and in some cases people have said they wear faster than the fronts.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Agreed. Mine has TVBB same as this p450.
I am 47k miles in now. Still on original fronts. Rear pads changed at 33k. Just usual driving with an odd spirited run.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Both front & rear pads were changed on mine at 35k
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Moss

Post by Moss »

I’d be relying less on brake pad wear and looking at the date stamps on each tyre.
Exciting and sustained track usage will shread tyres.
Unless previous owners have been very unlucky with punctures and tyre replacements (on each corner - gulp) they should be the originals with a decent amount of tread remaining 🙂
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post