Annoying drivers door mirror whistle

Anything F-Type related......
Lady Eleanore

Post by Lady Eleanore »

My car has developed a rather annoying whistle, emanating from the driver's door mirror. Anyone got any tips to curing it, short of covering all the gaps with gaffa tape?
My real name is Amanda, the username is a reference to my favourite band :)

Lady Eleanore

Post by Lady Eleanore »

Just me then :(
Moss

Post by Moss »

Guessing here, but…
Is the mirror still secure on its mount? Hasn’t been unknowingly knocked (or “adjusted” by folk squeezing between cars in car parks…)?
Have you checked the window seal has not been damaged/distorted/squeezed out of shape?
Sorry for STBO.
Unusual?
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
ralphr1780

Post by ralphr1780 »

I would start with gaffer tape iterations to determine the area or source.
Had a very similar case few years back with my A6, and it turned out finally to the plastic triangle where the base of the mirror meets the door lifting at speed.
Dismantling and double sided tape cured it for good.
Hope to have been of service!
ralph
V6S-AWD-Coupé-LHD-Caldera Red-MY20 aka Red Devil
SVR-Coupé-LHD-Santorini Black-MY20 aka Nyx
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

there was a thread on this topic a while back. Might be worth reading viewtopic.php?t=5191&start=10
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Lady Eleanore

Post by Lady Eleanore »

Thanks for the replies. I did so a search, but didn't spot the above link from Cluck, so that will be my starting point. I'll not remove the door card though, it's a brand-new car and I think Jaguar should sort it if it's a defect of misalignment. Mind you, Sytners don't fill me with confidence so far :(

Many, many years ago, I had a whistle from my roof mounted ariel on my Clio16V (the original "oh Pap" mk1 version). I cured it by making mini doughnuts around the ariel with insulating tape. Almost invisible to the eye, but it broke up the air flow around the 'stick' and cured the problem. Renault garage mentioned I had some weird things on my ariel and I explained what I had done, to which they said they might recommend it as a fix for the relatively common problem :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post