What do you think about the Jaguar F-type?

Anything F-Type related......
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

AutoCar have posted up a post asking for your thoughts on the new F-Type;

[quote=Steve Sutcliffe]
I think the Jaguar F-type looks somewhere between great and gorgeous, and the version I'm most excited about driving is not the range topping V8 S but the £58,500 entry-level V6.

Why? Because in all car model ranges, from the humble Fiesta to the Porsche 911 with which the F-type must so obviously compete, there is ALWAYS a perfect diamond; a model that hits the sweet spot more accurately than any other, often for no specific reason other than pure good fortune (although more often than not it's the most commercially successful version that nails it best, the manufacturer having put that little bit more zing behind the design, testing and development of what's likely to be its most popular model).

With the F-type, I can't help thinking that that model is going to be the basic supercharged V6. For starters, it's nearly 10 grand cheaper than any other version within the range, so it's inevitably going to prove the most popular. But, crucially, it's also 68kg lighter than the V8 S, 6mpg more economical, 50g/km cleaner and £21,450 less expensive.

And I'll bet my last shilling that its steering, ride, handling and body control will each be that little bit sweeter than those of the heavier and more complex yet theoretically more desirable V8 S.

Must say I think it looks a bit special, I prefer the appearance of the quad exhaust arrangement over the central position of twin pipes but like Steve suspect that the V6 will perform better on the twisties. I'm going to predict this will sell very well in the States with having the Auto box.

My current car has such a box with paddle shifters and can reccomend to any that have not tried one. That said Jaguar should be offering the choice of a manual or auto.

Love the idea and the looks (except for the front end) and I think they have put them into a price point that is too tempting to resist. Cheaper than a 911, BMW 6 series, Mercedes Benz SL, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Audi R8. But is more expensive the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster, Mercedes Benz SLK and Audi TT.

I think Jaguar have a winner especially having a price point that nobody is in.

but hard to say which would be better the V6 (more agile) or the V8 (will sound better, faster), I am betting on the V8 knowing it that will have some chassis upgrades the V6 wont have.

nothing wrong in the way it looks, its quite nice and i like the simple details. its not too over worked and is typically a jaguar shape and it needs to be, Ian Callum has done a good job. sometimes simple lines makes the car stand out. i was iffy on the grill but that centre bar breaks up the grill to look like an oval. For me its not about huge amounts of power, competition but how it makes me feel, i should smile, laugh and enjoy driving the car and not be a tight upper lipped german die hard man. for me the V6 is the choice. i couldn't careless if porsche handled better or was able to put the power down better but that crackling exhaust note on the overdrive is just brilliant, i can see myself just going up and down motorway slip roads just flawing the engine just to hear it and a big fuel bill to follow i would have wished that jaguar did a straight six rather than a V6 as its a proper balanced engine configuration that racing cars would have and it would have been a fitting choice to follow as a successor from the e-type. the reports to come will see how it fairs well. they should do a GT3 and Williams Special Limited edition. someone like Revere should be asked to do a limited number made to order quality bespoke f-type, as a celebrating tribute for the launch of the F-type....and why shouldn't they...its a Jaaag!

What do you think? Agree or disagree with anything said above? Lots more on the Autocar website here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/jaguar-f-type/what-do-you-think-about-jaguar-f-type

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post