Carlimits - Essex Airfield - jag day?

Club Meetings and Events
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

Thats great news - and great feedback, thanks!
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.

benji-m

Post by benji-m »

My P Zero's are coming up for changing, so same as you Sammy, I've got the training day booked before I swap them out - Going for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports next! The wet/cold weather grip on the P Zero's is shocking.

Hopefully the P Zeros hold out till the start of April! Ermm
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

How did it go benji? We were up today for the open to all activity day - better tgan last tjme and she did well. I think we made top5 and were not uber commited on track.
Tel

Post by Tel »

I pumped up the tyres at the petrol station a couple of miles away - can't remember by how much but their website says to add 4 or 5 psi or so before participating, to protect the sidewalls
Just wondering how you found the handling?

I would have suggested the opposite, let out pressure so that once the air heats up, as the tyres do and expands the pressure stays within sensible limits.
You might find the car handles a little nicer.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
captainham

Post by captainham »

Tel wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 pm
I pumped up the tyres at the petrol station a couple of miles away - can't remember by how much but their website says to add 4 or 5 psi or so before participating, to protect the sidewalls
Just wondering how you found the handling?

I would have suggested the opposite, let out pressure so that once the air heats up, as the tyres do and expands the pressure stays within sensible limits.
You might find the car handles a little nicer.
I was only following the advice on the website, which says to inflate if you have a heavier car (of which the F-Type definitely is!). It's about protecting the sidewalls, as a lot of the day is spent on the high speed corner, rather than it being a full-on track day with cornering.

I'm not a good enough driver to have noticed any difference in handling, 100% of my attention was focused on the task at hand so I noticed no difference!

Perhaps the pre-inflation was why the shoulders bore the brunt of the wear...no idea though, not an expert in these areas!
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

Agree re the sidewalls. You dont really get hot due to the sitting around between goes. How did you do in the high speed bend captain? They swear she' ll hit high 60s at least but i havent cleared 60 yet (although i am sharing the car so not getting many goes at it). The circuits we performed very respectably but the bend bugs me, i know its possible but cant find the knack... Jess
Tel

Post by Tel »

Wasn't aware that you sat around between having a go.
In which case I doubt that the tyres ever get up to temperature.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
captainham

Post by captainham »

ajbh wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2017 2:42 pm How did you do in the high speed bend captain? They swear she' ll hit high 60s at least but i havent cleared 60 yet (although i am sharing the car so not getting many goes at it). The circuits we performed very respectably but the bend bugs me, i know its possible but cant find the knack... Jess
60 (without braking before entering the bend) was definitely achievable, as long as you're ready to catch the slide. I spent more time on getting up to 85/90, before braking as I went through the bend (on the instructor's advice), as then you got to play with the braking to try and help control the slide too.

All this talk is making me want to go back now :)
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
benji-m

Post by benji-m »

ajbh wrote: ↑Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 pm How did it go benji? We were up today for the open to all activity day - better tgan last tjme and she did well. I think we made top5 and were not uber commited on track.
Hi Jess,

Sorry, been away from the forum for a few weeks. Yeah great day had down with the guys at carlimits, it was me, two caterhams and a lotus elise, so a good selection. Nice amount of activities to keep you entertained. I pumped my tyres up to 41 psi when warm as I had already driven to the location, definitely need to increase the pressure rather than decrease. You are putting a huge amount of load on the sidewalls, and it was obvious on the tyre how much it was 'folding' over even at those pressures, any less and I would have written off the tyres.

The instructor had me doing about 70-75 through the bend without braking which the car dealt with ok. The back would try to slip out, but as long as you were fast enough with the steering to catch it the F had no issues. He moved me on to entering the corner at 90-95, first braking round the corner to a stop, then braking round and releasing the brake to learn to control the oversteer when the weight shifts around the car. Some great information about understeer and what the tyres are trying to do - very counter intuitive to reduce steering angle to turn sharper, but makes perfect sense in hindesight when thinking about how the grip blocks on the tyres are working at the point of understeer.

Highly recommend the day to everyone. My only vice is of my own doing which was that after putting brand new Michelin PSS on the car at the end of March, the day used about 3mm of thread and the outsides of the front, and insides of the rears are nearly gone. But like I say, that is my own throttle/oversteer happy brain and foot - I have no one to blame but myself :lol:
2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post