Non-jaguar dealers

Club Meetings and Events
midlifesteve

Post by midlifesteve »

I have finally saved up enough money for my first F-Type. I have been looking for a while and can't find the right spec 380 convertible 4WD at a Jaguar garage but I have found one at a non-Jaguar garage. It has 2 and 1/2 years left of it's manufacturers warranty. Is this warranty as good as the two years that Jaguar offer on their used cars? I have never spent this much money on a car before so I am very concerned about ending up with a car with a useless warranty. PS. Does anybody know where there is a very good, well spec-ed, ultra blue 380 convertible 4WD/British edition?

Monster

Post by Monster »

Hi
I bought my 380 convertible from a private dealer. It had 18 months remaining of the Jag dealership warranty left. The manufacturer's warranty had expired.
I have had a number of things done on the warranty, water pump, speaker, suspension sensor.
I had an active exhaust valve squeak. I spoke with the warranty people who informed me that the exhaust is one of the items not covered by the 2 year Jag dealership warranty.
They also told me that it would have been covered by the original manufacturer's warranty as most items are.

I would have no concerns at all purchasing a f type from a private dealer if the car was covered by the original manufacturer's warranty. Check the service history is up to date as that could invalidate the warranty.
I would however do my due diligence around identity checks on the car and HPI and history checks.
If they check out then I'd go for it.
Mark
midlifesteve

Post by midlifesteve »

Thanks for the reply Monster

I'll see how I get on with it this weekend.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Just one important point to note - a Jaguar warranty on a used car cannot be passed by a trader to the next owner, only if dome by a sale from a member of public to another

I think you'll also find that the original Jaguar warranty covers many items that are not covered on secondary warranties from Jaguar dealers. They are of course the things most likely to fail - brakes, exhaust, trim, etc.

Read the warranty book on whatever your buying before signing
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
midlifesteve

Post by midlifesteve »

Thanks
It's these kind of things that concern me about buying from a non Jaguar garage. I've never spent this much money on a car before, so my thinking is that by paying a little more and going through Jaguar I might get better service if something goes wrong. I bought a three year old Navara from a large non franchise dealer, as soon as they had my money they couldn't have cared less, I was no better off than buying private. The issue with the F Type is that Jaguar dealers can't find the car I want (maybe being to picky) and now I have test driven one, I want one NOW!
Monster

Post by Monster »

I was unaware that a Jag used car warranty was not transferable if the car was sold by an independent dealer. :o
I am in no doubt that you would experience better after sales care if you bought from a main dealer and spending the sort of money we do on an f type it may be worth the extra premium for the peace of mind.
That did play on my mind when buying mine.
Mark
SESH

Post by SESH »

I bought mine from an independent dealer and have no problems with the Jaguar warranty! All work carried out as normal under warranty with a Jaguar franchised dealer.
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

SESH wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 pm I bought mine from an independent dealer and have no problems with the Jaguar warranty! All work carried out as normal under warranty with a Jaguar franchised dealer.
Depends which warranty you have, Original factory 2 year warranty (or whatever term it is), or the Jaguar extended warranty.

That is very specific that the previous seller has to complete forms, mail to Jaguar (actually the warranty company) and a new warranty for the remaining term is issued to the new private customer, loaded onto Jaguar, etc.
I know as I have one running to late 2018 and yes - all work is carried out by franchised dealer but limited to the items covered

My point is that it is key to read what warranty you are buying, can it be transferred and under what circumstances
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
midlifesteve

Post by midlifesteve »

Thanks for your replies, they have been very helpful
midlifesteve

Post by midlifesteve »

An update to my earlier posts.

I bought the car! Collected it today, no issues with buying from a non Jaguar dealer. I spoke to my local Jag dealership and they had no issues with servicing it or any warranty work.Then rang Jaguar warranty head office, they couldn't have been more helpful, they did a full vehicle check, gave me all the details on the car from the day it was built up to yesterday. He also explained how the three year warranty worked. The garage took it to their nearest Jag dealer and paid for the first service, even though it was only eight months old.

So after a four year wait I have a fully loaded ultra blue 380 convertible awd F type in the garage and a BIG smile!

Now planning a three week road trip to the Italian/Austrian alps in the summer, any good road suggestions?

Cheers

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post