Jaguar I Pace

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
East winger

Post by East winger »

I have a friend in the US with a Tesla and it's fast. Very fast. The savings are not as big as they may appear. He seems to go through a lot of rear tires and there are other servicing costs too. He also found that cold days drain the system quite a bit and he needed winter tires.

For me the price point is not there yet. I hope that the i-pace changes that.

The whole electric thing is great, but let's have one standard plug in public places !!!
Italian Racing Red Coupe S AWD + big smile

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I had a good think about a Twizzler, before settling on the F type. It is an impressive vehicle. However, the range doesn't work for me, having quite a few round trips of either 200 or 400 miles each year. One of the car mags did a London to Paris run last year, to test the practicality, which unfortunately ended on a recovery truck when a vital charging point was out of commission with no others within the remaining range.

The Arundel Jag meet in August was shared with Tesla's. They're unbelievably quiet. If you're walking along you can't hear one following immediately behind you, not a sound. Nothing like a milk float (no bottles rattling you see. Actually I mean there's no electric motor whine).

The I pace concept is a real looker though, makes the Twizzler appear a bit bland. Maybe be they'll have fast charging points available at Jaguar and Land Rover dealers? i.e. stop off at the dealership have a coffee whilst it's charging. Now that might really shake the whole range issue up.

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
steveh

Post by steveh »

We drove the Tesla on Saturday, fantastic car. It wasn't the most powerful one and it wasn't set to ludicrous mode but can it accelerate! We took it up the A9 a little way then turned off onto a B road and despite it weighing 2.5 tons it handles so well you would never know. We didn't push it too hard as the rep was with us but it was very capable. The main problem though is the charging. It was connected to the charger when we arrived and it was about half an hour before we drove it, we done about 24 miles but when we got back we only had another 5 miles of charge left, if we had driven in our normal manner we wouldn't have made the distance. You can charge it in about 2 hours if connected to one of there super chargers but they are to few and far between, especially here in Scotland. The one we drove cost about 100K so a bit expensive, the price will come down eventually and when it does and the charging problems are sorted we would defiantly consider one.
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

All-electric cars may be OK for city dwellers with short journeys but out in the real world there's always going to be sometime when you run out of juice with nowhere to top up. Hybrids are the only practical way forward for the foreseeable future.

steveh

Post by steveh »

This is very true, you can plan a 200 mile round trip without any problem as they have improved the range but they are affected by temperature so you could find yourself having to drive more consevatly than you would like. Would spoil your fun somewhat!
Steve.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

I often wonder how the range is affected in the winter with the lights on (probably LED's) windscreen wiper motor, heater blowing to demist the windows plus the rear screen heater etc etc you get the picture. I would be stressing all the time over available distance draining away and miles to the nearest recharge point.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Not sure about the wipers or heaters but we were told the lights operate from a separate battery so they make no difference to the range. More info on www.tesla.com
Steve.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post