Ex-demo car - what discount would be expected?

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
basher

Post by basher »

So my BDE quest goes on...

The car I've had my eye on is still available.
  • It's a 6 month old demo with 3000 miles and is discounted by 13.5%.
  • This discount is exactly the same as I was getting on Carwow for brand new BDE.
  • It's £5K over my ceiling, but I would have expected some depreciation on top of the existing discount.

I got an AutoTrader valuation and it's £500 above the max value and £8K above the minimum.

I've had some useful tips in a PM from @Senninha about haggling techniques...

1. Does anyone else have a view on what sort of depreciation I should expect from a 6 month old demo car with 3000 miles?
  2. I'm crap at haggling, but I wonder if my opening gambit should be the low end of the AutoTrader valuation?

Any more advice gratefully received, so I can put this thing to bed once and for all.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

steveh

Post by steveh »

Just point out that it is six months old with 3000 miles and you can get a new latest style one for that and make on offer, good luck.
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
wiggyeddy

Post by wiggyeddy »

CAP HPI 'Clean' for the BDE AWD, 6 months 3k miles gives a figure of £54,200 if that helps :)

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

CAP HPI 'Clean' for the BDE AWD, 6 months 3k miles gives a figure of £54,200 if that helps :)

If thats top trade then Id guess retail at £59,995 ... so gives you an idea of what they have to play with ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Abergele 380S

Post by Abergele 380S »

I would have thought that you should be looking at 20% discount as a minimum tbh.
But I suppose it all depends on what sort of deal you are looking at aswell - PCP, HP, cash, part exchange, etc; as dealers seem to have a bit more leeway with new 2017MY cars by offering "stock support", "deposit allowances", "lower rate PCP rates" and attractive part exchanges.
basher

Post by basher »

Thanks everyone.

I wondered whether 20% would be a good starting point, but I'm really surprised at CAP HPI figures quoted above. And the retail estimate is still £2.5K below the lowest valuation from AutoTrader.

I'll be PX'ing my TTS and will be taking out PCP finance (not Jaguar) plus a reasonable cash deposit.

I think I need to go in with a stupid offer.

Backfire

Post by Backfire »

I bought a five month old 1200 mile F Type V6 Coupe from HA Fox, Derby late last year at an 18% discount. It wasn't a demonstrator, but a car that had been returned because the interior spec wasn't as ordered (a bit of a long story). It was as new and I would say, especially with the negligible mileage, much better than an ex demo.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.
Abergele 380S

Post by Abergele 380S »

Be careful with online valuations as my Boxster was coming out at £41k min, but all dealers around the UK (including Porsche) were quoting £35k. ITry using Webuyanycar.com or Evans Halshaw to give an idea of cash value - £34.7k for the Boxster.

The dealer will also try and fob you off with 8.9% PCP, but they do have leeway to go as low as 5.9%. So worth pushing this angle aswell.

I was pretty lucky with mine as a near perfect model was in stock, so ended up with 19% discount and £39k part ex.
Gillie

Post by Gillie »

Hi Basher
I don't know if it's because when they first introduced the BDE there wasn't any discount on the asking price so I'm told!!! Hence they didn't sell many so I tried to buy one from a dealer near me and the car was 66reg with ten miles on the clock and they'd had it about six months and couldn't sell so the original price was £76450-00 and was now marked up at £65000 and they wouldn't go any lower than that and six weeks later they still have it and it's now £64000 and I offered them more than that but they wouldn't sell it to me so bought one from elsewhere!!!! Not that I'm gloating
basher

Post by basher »

They've had no offers on the car, meanwhile it's racking up the miles. They'll probably want to offload it, so I'm happy to play the long game. I had my 1st test drive in a V6S 3 months ago. I'm in no hurry. But I can't offer anywhere near what they want - I'll more likely pitch it low(ish) based on comments above and see where we go from there.

basher2017-03-20 08:41:35