Spec sacrifices, and Project 7 pics

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
Kevs F Type

Post by Kevs F Type »

For Info.... I live near Grange Welwyn, and test drove the "46" mile 3.0 S in Sapphire Blue. The price was too high and they wouldn't budge, so went elsewhere. To be honest, the dark blue didn't do it for me either. Today, I have a put a deposit down on a White 3.0 S, with the following spec:

Reversing camera
Panoramic roof
Active switch exhaust
Front & rear parking aid
Heated seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Front Screen
Cruise control (standard)
Meridian sound system (380w)
14Way Memory Seats
Ambient Configurable Mood Lighting
Powered tailgate

and...negotiated a Premier Carpet for the Boot thrown in....

Regarding servicing, I would never use Grange Welwyn (except for maybe Jaguar software upgrades) as I use an Independent Jag Agent in Welwyn GC, who once worked for Jag and the two guys started up on their own. Quality place and half the price of the main stealerships... Anyone that wants their details just ask me.
Jaguar F Type 3.0 V6 S Coupe in Polaris White - Pan Roof, Cold Climate Pack, Reverse Camera Parking Pack, Powered Tailgate, 14w Memory Seat Pack, Configuable Dynamics, Meridian Sound...

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Yes please :)

and Welcome!
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

AL1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Below is a list of what I'd like, in order of importance, are there any of these that people who live with the cars think could be sacrificed fairly easily?

Reversing camera
Pano roof
Active switch exhaust
Front & rear parking aid
Heated seats
Side sills or design pack
Grey, white or IRR
Meridian sound system
Black pack
Based on my ownership experience, I would keep Pano, active exhaust, parking aids, heated seats (and steering wheel if you find one) and cruise

I thought the camera was a waste of time so would happily let that go. Meridian was so poor that I only really turned the system on for the phone access. Black pack / design packs can be retro fitted so miss a good car because these are not already installed. With colour, I always decide what I DONT want then look at everything else .. you may surprise yourself and maybe find more spec than you thought ... by example, mine had cream leather ... I wouldn’t normally consider but when I saw the car it just worked and I brought it home

Does it have to be an S? Are they must haves for this spec? I had the 340 and it never felt lacking ... the extra horses only appear at the top end of the rev range anyway ... if there is spec then fair enough, if its just the numbers then consider a non S and have it mapped and give yourself 430!!

Good luck with the hunt and the test drive ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
bigknd

Post by bigknd »

Lovely project 7 ;)
Have a look at Carwow.co.uk and spec a new one, you will be surprised that a brand new one is sometimes cheaper than a 6 Month or so used one ;)
AL1

Post by AL1 »

So I went for a test drive yesterday, albeit in one of the newer 2017 3.0 VS. I’m still trying to work out my initial thoughts, as I’m aware that I need to discount a couple of things in my head. I’m coming from a Porsche 987 Boxster so jumping back in that to drive home (along my favourite twisty road) did feel a lot more nippy and sporty.

· F-type feels a lot more like a ‘muscle’ car, coming from 245 bhp to 375bhp this was to be expected.
· It’s my first time with an autobox, and I didn’t get the chance to put it into semi-manual to use the paddles and change gear as I wanted. So it did feel a little sluggish, but I think I would have got this from any automatic having only driven manuals. How much do people find they drive it on the paddles?
· F-Type is obviously a lot heavier, but the ride is so much more comfortable than the boxster, which is needed to persuade the girlfriend that a driving holiday in Europe is a good idea!
· The test drive definitely wasn’t long enough, probably got 10 mins, a little dual carriageway, then a 40mph b road.
· Maybe I need to find a rental company with F-Types for a weekend to really get to grips with it.

In answer to everyone’s helpful comments, I’ll need to keep the reversing camera as the visibility out the back is limited at best, and my parking is terrible at best :)

It doesn’t have to be an S although it’s preferable, I just figured they had more chance of being higher spec’d.

Had a look at carwow, but the top end of my budget is around £50k and I think realistically I’d like to get an older car that’s already had its large depreciation hit, and leaves me more money to tinker with it later
AL1

Post by AL1 »

Kevs F Type wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 pm For Info.... I live near Grange Welwyn, and test drove the "46" mile 3.0 S in Sapphire Blue. The price was too high and they wouldn't budge, so went elsewhere. To be honest, the dark blue didn't do it for me either. Today, I have a put a deposit down on a White 3.0 S, with the following

Regarding servicing, I would never use Grange Welwyn (except for maybe Jaguar software upgrades) as I use an Independent Jag Agent in Welwyn GC, who once worked for Jag and the two guys started up on their own. Quality place and half the price of the main stealerships... Anyone that wants their details just ask me.
That looks like pretty much perfect for me! Surprised I haven't seen that one before. Send over a link once you've secured it fully?

I've used Indys in the past, especially as the boxster is 12 years old now, but with a 2-3 year old car I was thinking of keeping it main stealer for the stamps and warranty.... are you going to Indy the f-type, and if so what's your warranty situation?
jimbobc

Post by jimbobc »

Kevs F Type wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 pm For Info.... I live near Grange Welwyn, and test drove the "46" mile 3.0 S in Sapphire Blue. The price was too high and they wouldn't budge, so went elsewhere. To be honest, the dark blue didn't do it for me either. Today, I have a put a deposit down on a White 3.0 S, with the following spec:

Reversing camera
Panoramic roof
Active switch exhaust
Front & rear parking aid
Heated seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Front Screen
Meridian sound system (380w)
14Way Memory Seats
Ambient Configurable Mood Lighting
Powered tailgate

and...negotiated a Premier Carpet for the Boot thrown in....

Sounds a great spec! They have a red one with 46 miles too. Wonder why they are so low - they are ex Jags cars.

I would like the independent details I have been told a year service is around £600 pretty much looks like oil and filter to me! Not sure whether I have to service it there to maintain warranty though.
2014 F-Type V6S Coupe Italian Racing Red with carbon blades
jimbobc

Post by jimbobc »

AL1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am So I went for a test drive yesterday, albeit in one of the newer 2017 3.0 VS. I’m still trying to work out my initial thoughts, as I’m aware that I need to discount a couple of things in my head. I’m coming from a Porsche 987 Boxster so jumping back in that to drive home (along my favourite twisty road) did feel a lot more nippy and sporty.

· F-type feels a lot more like a ‘muscle’ car, coming from 245 bhp to 375bhp this was to be expected.
· It’s my first time with an autobox, and I didn’t get the chance to put it into semi-manual to use the paddles and change gear as I wanted. So it did feel a little sluggish, but I think I would have got this from any automatic having only driven manuals. How much do people find they drive it on the paddles?
· F-Type is obviously a lot heavier, but the ride is so much more comfortable than the boxster, which is needed to persuade the girlfriend that a driving holiday in Europe is a good idea!
· The test drive definitely wasn’t long enough, probably got 10 mins, a little dual carriageway, then a 40mph b road.
· Maybe I need to find a rental company with F-Types for a weekend to really get to grips with it.

In answer to everyone’s helpful comments, I’ll need to keep the reversing camera as the visibility out the back is limited at best, and my parking is terrible at best :)

It doesn’t have to be an S although it’s preferable, I just figured they had more chance of being higher spec’d.

Had a look at carwow, but the top end of my budget is around £50k and I think realistically I’d like to get an older car that’s already had its large depreciation hit, and leaves me more money to tinker with it later
10 minutes is insulting on a £50k car! I tried the 918 back to back with the F-Type. The Porsche (4 cylinder) just didn't have the noise. More poised and probably quicker but clinical in comparison.
2014 F-Type V6S Coupe Italian Racing Red with carbon blades
Kevs F Type

Post by Kevs F Type »

I did see the RED one in Welwyn but the price tag of around £5k more than I wanted to spend put me off.
There is a "top spec" one at Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton, Black on a 15 plate, so anyone searching for high spec, with only 5k miles for £47k might be well worth a shout....

Regarding the "Independent" in Welwyn GC.... G&D Auto's , Sterling Court, Mundells, Welwyn Garden City AL7 1EN Tel:- 01707-321311

Also, I have taken my previous two XF's to them for the past 7 years, and my X Type before that. I also have an F Pace, they will get the servicing on that as well as my F Type..... There are no warranty issues when you go to Independents. The Dealerships will say there is to gain your business, but JLR UK will honour any warranty work anyway providing you have the book stamped by a legitimate source.
These guys use all genuine Jag parts and use all the recommended oils etc. It's the same service, just with a better deal, and you meet the guys who actually will be working on your car....... Just take a visit before you book your car in, just to see they are stand-up guys (Gordon & Derek)...
Jaguar F Type 3.0 V6 S Coupe in Polaris White - Pan Roof, Cold Climate Pack, Reverse Camera Parking Pack, Powered Tailgate, 14w Memory Seat Pack, Configuable Dynamics, Meridian Sound...
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Hi AL1
When i was looking before ordering mine I was offered a 24hr test drive so i got to drive on all the roads i would use daily as well as a trip tithe supermarket!; mine will be a daily car Don't take anything less than a day to help you make up your mind. As others have said worth looking new....mine was about 6k more brand new than a 6 month old demo model so I don't think I'll lose much more than the demo in the first year. Plus 0% finance in the new car clinched it
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post