F Type AWD S 2015 vs 400 2017

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
ChrisF99

Post by ChrisF99 »

Hey guys, I really need some advice from people who've done their research thoroughly. I'm looking to buy an AWD F Type and I've narrowed it down to the following:
1) 400 model with 6.500 km, mid 2017, with the fixed spoiler (which I love) at 76K Eur;
vs
2) 1-2 other F Types AWD S, 2015/early 2016, with ~ 30 - 40.000 km, prices around 58-60k Eur;

I'm really not sure if the 400 is worth it the extra money. I'm planning on keeping the car at least 18 months, I'll pay cash, no financing. I'm aware newer cars usually depreciate at a faster rate, but I'd like to think the 400 will retain it's value a bit better. I'm also leaning towards the 400 because I think it might be easier to negotiate a better price.

The final pro in favor of the 400 is the warranty ... Jaguar doesn't have a good track record and the 2015/2016 cars I've seen are probably out of warranty. But we're talking about 16K difference.

Any advice?

Fez

Post by Fez »

There are only 336 400s in the UK. 75 AWD black coupe and 5 awd black convertibles. I am not sure the break down of the colours. As you only keeping car 18 months will make little difference regarding value. In the in 20yrs time the 400 will be the one, especially if the V6 is drop at end of year.

Phil
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

ChrisF99 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 pm
I'm planning on keeping the car at least 18 months,

I'd like to think the 400 will retain it's value a bit better.
The F Type (like most other cars) will take a big depreciation hit in the first two years whereas a 2015 model won't depreciate anywhere near as much as someone else has already suffered the pain so purely from a depreciation point of view the 2015 model is the one to go for.

That's my thinking and is why I am also looking at a 2015 AWD
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

If you’re buying from an approved Jaguar dealer then you get 2 years warranty on the older car anyway.
IRR V8R
ChrisF99

Post by ChrisF99 »

I just go the VIN number. I looked for various websites to get a complete list of the vehicles options, but I can't find any. Can you guys help?
Other info: the older model (I found a very similar 2016 instead of 2015) seems to have 3 years warranty so it expires in 2019 and the dealer said he'll give me an extra 2 years until 2021. This is a major win!
As for its options, it has the panoramic roof, the 19" black glossy wheels, flat steering wheel, exterior black pack. Not sure what else is relevant. It doesn't say anything about the sound system or the breaks. The seats are the ugly ones with partial leather, but I have a great place where they can totally redo the seats.

I'm leaning towards the older one right now ... I'm seeing it in a few days.
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

ChrisF99 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am As for its options, it has the panoramic roof, the 19" black glossy wheels, flat steering wheel, exterior black pack. Not sure what else is relevant.
Everyone has different priorities but I want a reversing camera and heated seats on mine
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The black pack and pano roof are desirable options, good for resale. Similarly the rear camera and switchable exhaust button are often looked for. Other options would be nice to have, but if most of the above are there its a good spec. The standard brakes and sound system are OK anyway.

Things to check when viewing. The alignment of the bottom edges of the doors to the sills, as there are a suprising number of cars where the first owner never had this fixed (it's the sill that usually needs adjusting rather than the door). Look for faint vertical scratches on the windows (there a warranty bulletin for the dealer to replace the glass and modified window seals. 2016 cars might already have this modification anyway).

2016/17 options are listed in here.

https://www.beadles.co.uk/pdf/f-type-brochure.pdf
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
ChrisF99

Post by ChrisF99 »

LE: I just decoded the VIN on Topix. I see it has the base sound system. Last service July last year. REV TRAFFIC DETECTION/CTA/LCMA and R PERFORMANCE BRAKE PROGRAM are in so I guess that's a big plus.

Here's a big list of what's missing. Can you guys tell me if there's anything in particular I should be worried about?

LESS FLOOR MATS
LESS AIR DEFLECTOR
LESS AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST
LESS CONSOLE CONTRAST STITCH
LESS CONTRAST STITCHING
LESS CRUISE CONTROL
LESS DOOR STITCH
LESS GARAGE DOOR OPENER
LESS HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN
LESS HEATED STEERING WHEELS
LESS INCONTROL APPS
LESS IP CONTRAST STITCH
LESS NAVIGATION CENTER
LESS ROLL BAR FINISH
LESS SIDE SILLS
LESS SPARE WHEEL
LESS SVP
LESS TEMP CONTROL DRIVER SEAT
LESS TEMP CONTROL PASSNGR SEAT
LESS TRIM SEAT INSERT
LESS TV RECEIVER
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

I once bought a BMW with leather seats that weren't heated and hated it in the winter so would never buy another one.

I note from your thread on another forum that you live in Bucharest. If that is colder than UK in Winter I would think hard about buying a car without heated seats unless you keep it in a warm garage
ChrisF99

Post by ChrisF99 »

That's not a big issue. I'd much rather have cooled seats ^_^ ...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post