Longest Ever Wait?

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Ken, I think I can beat your wait!

Back in 1998 I bought a new MGF from Swain & Jones in Farnham. As a Customer you were signed up to receive their newsletter - which in one issue had pictures of what was then the concept F-Type.

I fell in love with that car - the picture was cut out and pinned to the notice board in my garage, and my passwords were F-Type related for many years!

Years passed, and the MGF was long gone, until in 2018 I had the opportunity to fulfill an ambition to buy something special, just for the hell of it. I always thought it would be an Aston, but I didn't really like the interior design, and so eventually an F-Type was top of my list.
That just led to months of soul-searching - could I justify spending considerably more on a car than ever before? would it really be more fun than my SLK? Depreciation, running costs, etc, etc.

Until one day I wandered into the garage and saw the picture on my noticeboard. I figured that if you've loved something for 20+ years, it can't be considered an impulse buy; at that point the decision was made, and today my drive is full of F-Type.

Less than 20 years, that's nothing? 20 plus years is a wait!

KenC

Post by KenC »

I consider myself trumped! Enjoy your car Jono, you deserve to.
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Funny to read these posts ! I was the first on the continent to have an option on an Elise, I think in 1996. I went to the Brussel motorshow to see if I could sit in it.. ..in my lunchbreak with my XJ40 2.8L [ offices on the outskirts of the Hague.. ..I left at 11.30h and was back in my office at two..]. Turned out I could not change gear as the lever met with my kneecap.. ..cancelled the reservation. Bought an MG-F in 1997, delivered on th 8th of april. Took it for a spin with my pregnant wife which apparently caused her to go into labour 3 week early later that night..[ healthy baby girl ]. Sold the MG-F in 2000 and bought a plot in Portugal.

But I started to long for a jaguar coupe in 1972, aged 12... .. I had seen an XK120 in a flowerbulb parade in Noordwijk. Time went buy and my first car was a Dolemite Sprint. That was crashed when an unlicensed Irakian truckdriver turned off crossing my lane ; I survived with a scratch only. After that I bought a Princess 2200HLE [ then 19yr old student..]. My dad confiscated that and dumped his Misubishi Lancer coupe.. I went to live in the student town. I owned many cars but the costs of housing and a family kept me from buying a coupe. In my student days the XJS was far to unreliable to be an option. In 2016 I started looking for a coupe , never heared of the F-Type then... Tried an XK8 but it was tired and faulty..
My wife suggested to buy a new car, but with taxes here the V6 were far to costly. Hence I bought a P300, after 46 years... :mrgreen:
Registered it on purpose on the 9th of april to commemorate the birth of our second daughter back in 1997.. :)

But ofcourse, it wasn't the wait for the F-Type only... :P
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
KenC

Post by KenC »

And so the wait was significantly longer than the ownership.

After only 17 months and 5,111 miles my car is moving on to a non franchised dealer with collection next week. I have really enjoyed this car - it is perfect for me in many ways but was left in the garage too often due to the need for something more practical. Two two seaters in the garage is one too many and I've done too many miles in the Mini Countryman!

The recent increase in value gave me an easy out even at trade value. It is already being advertised by the buyer at around £3,000 less than I paid for it new! Having bought well I'm only around 17% down so 1% per month. Pretty good for a new car of this value.

It is a bitter sweet moment for me - sorry to see it go but I've enjoyed my short ownership and had value for money. It seems the right decision.
scm

Post by scm »

If you've done too many miles in the Mini Countryman surely the BMW should go! Keep the classy vehicle. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

:mrgreen: Do awya with the Scuderia.. .. from the maintenance only you can buy a new F-Type every 5 yrs..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
KenC

Post by KenC »

Too many miles in the Mini does not mean a high mileage - it means I'd rather have done each mile in the F but had no choice as I regularly need more seats or luggage space.

Scud is a keeper - I've had it 11 years from new.

F fills the middle ground, but, good as it is, spent too long in the garage.