Standard or S?

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
JaguarXF-2018

Post by JaguarXF-2018 »

Hi!

I’m searching the market for my first F-type. I already decided it will be a V6 coupe (preferably red) and want to ask the kind people of this forum whether I should be going for the S version?
I especially wonder if there is any difference in the ride height, splitters and ability to go over speed humps. I like the badges and all but would rather have a less stressful ride in case thats the deal.

I currently have my eyes on a few 2015 models which have 10-30k miles and a variety of different trim levels. Additionally I wonder about the sports seats, are they sporty hard or sporty snug? They look nice.

I’m planning to use the car every day and do about
8k miles per year. I’ll keep the XF until I get more experience as this will be my first two-seater and I don’t want to go all-in.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
F-Type P340 cabrio 2018 8-)

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Seats are down to preference.
The S added a diff and sports exhaust button and a few other things as standard and I think I am right in saying the 2015 non-S is 340PS where as the S is 380PS.

History checks are available when your ready. PM me a reg.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Hi and welcome
No difference on ride height as far as I'm aware. No issue on speed bumps for me, just the odd up ramp in carparks. The touch point is not the splitters, but the small deflectors under the splitter that are somewhat sacrificial and easily replaced
Go for the S and get LSD, more power and generally better spec. than the then base car
Sports seats all the time for comfort, but probably depends upon your size and shape. For comparaison I replaced stock seats in my XF with sports as I could sit in them not on them
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi, welcome to the forum
I have a V6s (2014) and use as a daily.

Ive got the performance seats which I find really comfy and supportive - If comforts your thing try and find one with the memory seat package and full electric with bolster controls etc

Some will say a V6s is the more desirable car, so will hold its value better. If you are looking at a 2015 then they’ve already taken the depreciation hit and should be relatively stable so might not be an issue

In reality I don’t think you’ll notice the power difference with everyday driving (S has around 40hp more)
The S did come with a few standard items over the base though like active exhaust (if looking earlier than 2015 beware that some V6s’s didn’t have it as standard and I think it’s a must have option)
You get active dampers on the S and a limited slip diff but depends how you drive as to whether you’ll really miss these

If it’s purely power, my advice would be buy a base, get the pulley and remap and it will be up to around 450bhp (same as a mapped S model!)

If you can pick up an S for minimal extra cash then go for it, if it’s a sizeable chunk then drive both models and have a thing about it

Important - either way you won’t be disappointed!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

The seats changed in (I think) MY 2017. I cannot comment on the pre 2017 MY seats but I test drove 2 [2019] cars back to back about 3 weeks ago. One had the sport seats and the other had the more expensive performance seats. The sport seats were noticeably more soft and comfortable to me and the performance setas were more supportive but firmer. Additionally you can only get cooling seats if you have the performance seats.

I think it would be worth going and sitting/test driving a few just to see which ones you prefer and then look for a car specced as such. Good luck.

I think the S has limited slip diff, adaptive dampers, active exhaust and more power. Depends how you plan to use the car but the S was generally the journalists favourite of the whole range. Good luck
JaguarXF-2018

Post by JaguarXF-2018 »

Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate the effort. I have searched some more through the forums and youtube to get a clearer idea. On youtube I found out that the performance seats really are harder and looking through the offers the S model is more expensive and there are less of them on offer in the price range I am looking at. I therefore set my mind to a standard model with standard seats and definitely the active exhausts. I plan to use the car for some road trips and have no real intention to use its full potential on the road.
simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am History checks are available when your ready. PM me a reg.
Thank you, I am actually looking at a LHD version in the German market but I definitely need to check the VIN numbers so thank you for reminding me on that.
dbv6s wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am Important - either way you won’t be disappointed!
I think so too :)
cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 am No difference on ride height as far as I'm aware. No issue on speed bumps for me, just the odd up ramp in carparks. The touch point is not the splitters, but the small deflectors under the splitter that are somewhat sacrificial and easily replaced
Thank you for that, I was worried about scratching the nose so that puts my mind to rest a bit.
GusA wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm I think the S has limited slip diff, adaptive dampers, active exhaust and more power. Depends how you plan to use the car but the S was generally the journalists favourite of the whole range. Good luck
I plan on racing the gokart and just enjoying the car as a nice piece of design, after some consideration the S is not the favourite. I do like the badges though :D
F-Type P340 cabrio 2018 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post