F-Type V8 S vs. F-Type R (AWD / Non-AWD) - experiences

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

look at 9.25 that's you in the 2wd F-type.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

JekVI

Post by JekVI »

Never understood the "need for AWD" - I've come from a 350Z, an E92 M3 and now the F-Type R (RWD) and never had any issues in all weathers (I've never driven for work so only ever needed one car which I use all year round).

To me I ONLY considered the V8 in RWD due to it's weight saving over the AWD V8, plus to me it's the "correct" layout for a more driver focussed experience - obviously this is my opinion, and I will more than likely end up with an AWD car in the future (R8 is an itch I will inevitably scratch at some point...), but I've never felt my F-Type is anything other than planted or, at worst, incredibly predictable when things do get a little... slippery!

Just my 2 cents :D
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

I own a RWD R and I don't get where this "you WILL crash it" nonsense comes from. It's very nicely balanced and in TrackDSC mode you still have a nice safety net.
RWD V8 R
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

After two 5.0 XFRs, which struggled off the line in the wet and sometimes in the dry, I'm pleased to have the AWD Ftype, it takes off like a scalded cat. Can't really drift much in the UK due to narrow roads, cameras, congestion etc, so AWD's my choice.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguandy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:46 pm After two 5.0 XFRs, which struggled off the line in the wet and sometimes in the dry, I'm pleased to have the AWD Ftype, it takes off like a scalded cat.
I only had one 5.0 XKR but I understand where you're coming from, and how we'll now get there safely! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
jagRoar

Post by jagRoar »

The traction control on the RWD lets the car slide a little but is very. very good at correcting it. I've been on a Jaguar F-Type day where they simulate ice etc and actually and the traction control is very good. Without it you need a lot more skill but most of us never touch that button! Any 500-600 bhp rear wheel drive car is going to find grip issues in the wet and damp, but tyre selection can help that a lot.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Blimey this thread was started in 2019!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Looking at that Corvette video why is it some people think a powerful engine and just putting their foot down is the secret of being a good driver - they don't deserve to have the cars.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post