F-Type V8 S vs. F-Type R (AWD / Non-AWD) - experiences

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
philipp1

Post by philipp1 »

Hello together,

Currently, I am looking for a fascinating weekend car, and I took a closer look at the F-Type V8 convertible.

There are 3 vehicle types that come into question:
- V8 S
- R
- R AWD

Who can me give some advise regarding several topics, - ideally from experience.

Topic sound: I have heard that the V8 S got the better sound that the newer models (R and R AWD). Is that true?

Topic engine: Is it a huge difference between the different engine types (495 vs 551 hp)?

Topic AWD: What is the difference when it comes to corner dynamics? I am not looking for race times but for a fun ride (e.g. a little drift out of the corners). I imagine that the AWD might be a little quicker but also less fun to drive. Waht are your experiences? BTW, I am not interested in driving in winter times or when it is rainy.

Weak spots: As I am looking for a used vehicle, are there any weak spots of the different V8 models? What are your (longterm) experiences?

Thank you and kind regards,
Philipp

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

The only thing I can say on the matter is that I have the AWD. I drive it like I stole it. I have had quite a few performance cars & 1 with more power than the F-type, a Skyline gtr with a lot of mods. If I had the S 2WD I think either me or the car,,, or both would be trashed by now. You can introduce a slide but 4 wheel . I have done it on roundabouts just to see how far it can be pushed. If you want to go drifting then the 2WD is for you. Pull out of a junction 90 degree turn in the 2WD & give it a boot. The rear comes round & takes a good bit of experience to control as I am sure many on here are. Now do the same in the AWD, the way the car takes off is amazing, no slewing from side to side & no rear end drift. Jaguar made a good job with the programming of the drivetrain. Power. Talk to some of the engine tuners who do the 600-620 bhp upgrade & they will tell you it becomes a different beast. So then transpose that formula from the 495 to 550. So I would say yes there is quite a bit of difference , although some of the power will be sapped by the AWD. Totally disagree on sound. My neighbours hate me. If it was much louder my ears would bleed. Weak spots you may have to listen to Simple R as he knows all the models. Oh & by the way when its rainy mine is tucked up in the garage. God how sad am I. No comments please.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

I've driven a V8S (and now own one) and a V8R RWD but no AWD. I honestly didn't see much difference between the two, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference power wise. Infotainment was the only area where the R was improved, as it's a newer car.. As I bought the car for fun use at weekends, I honestly didn't care about the infotainment, as for me it was roof down, loud exhaust and the driving experience which were king. Plus, it was £10k or so cheaper for a very low mileage V8S, so I didn't see the need to spend the extra.

The big decision for you is RWD vs AWD. After you've made that choice, if it's RWD, then just buy a car in a spec you love! You won't find yourself worrying about whether you'll miss the 50bhp in my eyes.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

I originally test drove an AWD and was a little under-whelmed. Admittedly I had a Salesman in the car with me, so it wasn't the most spirited of drives, but I felt that I cnould have been driving anything.
It was that, and the £10k difference in price, that made me look at 2wd instead.

But yesterday I was out in an S, and there were a couple of times it got a little slidey, despite me not trying all that hard. So now I'm worried that I'm going to have to drive like Grandma every time the road is a little damp. And the one thing I want to be able to do is to enjoy every mile I drive in it.

So I can't really answer the question - but at least you're not alone in trying to find an answer!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Just a reminder that exploits of drifting, driving it like you stole it and 4 wheel drifts are of course done on private roads or at the track.
Aren't they............... ;)
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Of course Hosifer. :| :|
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

If you keep the electronics on they’ll look after you in a RWD, even in slippy conditions. (Within reason of course)

I’ve had mine just over two years now and never felt like the car wanted to kill me.

Don’t worry too much about the power side of things, the difference is just a map. So you could start off with a V8-S with just under 500bhp, get used to the car, then get it mapped. With a few other basic mods you can get them north of 630bhp. And there is no cost saving if you start off with the 550bhp R model. Another benefit of the S, you’ll suffer less deprecation 👍🏼
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Totally agree with Steviegtr,
It comes down to what you want from your car, if you want to drift etc then RWD is the way to go, however that didn’t interest me I wanted it to be more planted and controlled especially in the wet, after 3 years driving a V8 XFR which in the wet I could only safely squirt it on the straights an AWD was top of my wish list for the F Type and it hasn’t disappointed, you can drive it aggressively in most situations and it clings to the road like it’s on rails compared to my RWD, that said you can still unstick it if you try hard enough but it’s more stable and planted when driving it hard so I would say to choose based on your driving style and how you want it to handle.

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Reading the above. Steve only to be known as my son in law's dad. As me has always driven hard & has had all the best, owning a very successful garage. . I digress as usual, he bought a new V8 XFR & my son in law wiped it out on a dry stone wall, thinking like many I can drive anything, not realising the power. My daughter was with him at a wedding. Imagine what his dad said... . Anyway Steve saw my new to me V8 AWD & the 1st thing he said was you'll trash it they are so twitchy. I invited him to drive it, he did & when we came back he could not believe how stable it was. Sorry AWD with that kind of power is a must. The bit about depreciation is absolute rubbish. Watch some youtube video's of Corvette crashes. They are funny but expensive fails. Listen up AWD.
Last edited by steviegtr on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Have a look at what you are heading for , when you give it a fistful. Good luck.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post