V8 R vs SVR

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum

I have a V6S, it worth upgrading to a V8 SVR over a V8 R?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Get an R
83%
Get an SVR
17%

Total votes: 6

landminerepairs

Post by landminerepairs »

I have a V6S and and I looking for a V8 and I've now gone down a rabit hole of all the V8 Variants.

Is an SVR worth the generally £15k - £25k or more price tag over the V8 R? Moreover, beside looks will I noticed a big difference in comfort or ride quality? Speed and power wise, I know any V8 is going to feel a lot faster than my V6 so I'm not worried about that aspect. Its more about looks (interior and exterior), style and ride quality.

What do you think?
2018 F-Type V8 R, All Black.
Previously 2016 F-Type V6S British Design Edition, Ultra Blue.

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I haven't driven an R, but went from a V6 to an SVR.

Most people who have driven RWD and AWD, mention how the AWD car feels heavier particularly with the V8 up front.

However, when I got out of my RWD V6 and into the SVR, both on doing the test drive and swapping over on collection (275 miles each way), I was surprised that the SVR immediately felt lighter, more agile, and more comfortable. Not completely different but definitely better. The lightness of feel was the real surprise, if it is that. Although it might just be that the chassis and steering have more composure.

Obviously it's much faster than a V6, but the delivery is also different. When floored the V6 would hesitate for a split second then squat and launch. There's zero hesitation in the SVR, no squat, punch the pedal and your immediately gone without any drama.

Is it worth £15k more? You'll have to test drive them for yourself to see how you feel.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR